Parents in law have no will

Options
My parents in law currently have no will. They are both in their 60's and my FIL has poor health.

They jointly own two properties, one that they live in and one they rent.  They do have a joing bank account but may also have single accounts. 

My husband has sister and one half sister (Dad's side, first marraige). His Dad has not seen this daughter in 35 plus years, and the my husband has only met her once. She does live locally still. 

My conern is that if my Mother in law passes first my Father in law will inhert all - however should he pass with no will in place his daughter from the first marraiage could be entilited to a third of his estate. 

Is this correct? 

Comments

• poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/death-and-wills/who-can-inherit-if-there-is-no-will-the-rules-of-intestacy/

The above article  provides insight on what could happen to your inlaws' estate when each dies.

Of course how they own the two properties  and respective values can give rise to different outcomes for intestate estates ( Joint Tenants cirumvents intestacy rules on the first death compared to tenants in common ).

However in the circumstance of FIL  surviving  MIL, there is certainly the potential for the half sister acquiring a 1/3 entitlement on his death if no will is executed to the contrary.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You say what your concern is.  Do you know what your in-laws actually want to happen?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You say what your concern is.  Do you know what your in-laws actually want to happen?
    Whatever they want to happen needs a will otherwise there will be a different outcome depending on who dies first, so they would be stupid not to make one. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback