Changing meter in empty property

Options
HAenergyadvisor
HAenergyadvisor Posts: 11 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post
Hi all,

I'm helping out with a property which has been empty for 12 years and is being completely rewired and renovated, including the installation of Quantum storage heaters. Part of the work involved is replacing the current meter (which is blank) with a two rate meter.

Does anyone know who I should get in touch with to get the meter changed? My instinct was the supplier but apparently there's no longer a supplier as the property has been empty for so long. My second thought was the DNO, but I'd really appreciate input from anyone who has had experience of a similar situation.

Any questions, let me know!

Cheers

Comments

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    AFAIK Normally your regional distributor is responsible / handles connection upto main incoming fuse.

The split on a new build is something I am less familiar with- but is mentioned here

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/new-electricity-connections/connect-1-4-properties-domestic-small-business/new-electricity-connection-what-s-involved

There's regs / guidelines for location of the meter or meter box location on new connections your builder will have to comply with.

Your chosen supplier responsable for meter install.

You for consumer units and I guess wiring from cabinet.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently? There is still a supplier unless the supply has been disconnected. Have you actually checked?
    And still a meter in place, so 12 years of standing charges are due...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wrf12345
    wrf12345 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "12 years of standing charges are due..." but the new owner would only be responsible for the time when he purchased the property but if the meter is blank there may be no electricity coming into the property.
  • HAenergyadvisor
    HAenergyadvisor Posts: 11 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for your responses. The DNO came to the rescue, and we have identified the supplier. Requesting the meter be replaced by them. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback