Not so smart meters

Options
PCBrum
PCBrum Posts: 1 Newbie
I have had smart meters for 3-4 years and the logic of installing them was to save the energy companies  the cost of having someone to read them and/or relying on customer readings. Why then, do we still get someone from a third-party company coming to read the meters every 3 months? I contacted Octopus and they comfirmed the meters are providing them with the information they need. So, surely, if they didn't waste so much money they could revisit the thorny issue of standing charges?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    6+ years in our property and have never had anyone come to read our meters.  There have been smart meters here all that time but they only started working smartly about 3 years back.  So I'm wondering if there's something unusual about your energy use that they feel needs checking on.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't had one for 15 years or more, the last one just put a "we called, you were out, read it yourself" card through - didn't even knock.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Safety and revenue protection checks. But shouldn't be as often as quarterly.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • imeach
    imeach Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In theory, the logic of having them is for you to save money, obviously by adjusting usage patterns. 
    I don't think anywhere has ever said that it will do away with meter readers, although smart meter fitters are known to tell customers that. 
    Third party meter reading companies will only call when suppliers ask them to, but there really is no pattern to when or how often suppliers send requests out.
    Obviously shouldn't be every 3 months on smart meters but regularly is. 

You're not on the Priory Services Register are you?
    That might explain quarterly visits still
  • Abertawe25
    Abertawe25 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    One thing the gas/power companies do not tell you is that if they do not reach their quota of installations they get fined by the goverment
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PCBrum said:
    I have had smart meters for 3-4 years and the logic of installing them was to save the energy companies  the cost of having someone to read them and/or relying on customer readings. Why then, do we still get someone from a third-party company coming to read the meters every 3 months? I contacted Octopus and they comfirmed the meters are providing them with the information they need. So, surely, if they didn't waste so much money they could revisit the thorny issue of standing charges?

Maybe they haven't caught you bypassing the meters yet.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PCBrum said:
    I have had smart meters for 3-4 years and the logic of installing them was to save the energy companies  the cost of having someone to read them and/or relying on customer readings.
    Was it? I don't remember that.

I've lived 20 years in the same flat with my traditional meter (surprised it's still certified to be honest), and have only had one meter reader knock on my door in all that time.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One thing the gas/power companies do not tell you is that if they do not reach their quota of installations they get fined by the goverment
    The energy companies themselves may not say it much, but it’s hardly news to anyone with even a vague finger on the pulse of current affairs, is it! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills