Possible Home Insurance Claim?

Options
In a bedroom the floor has dropped down. A builder has examined and concluded a joist needs inserting and hardboard replacing which has cracked. He believes the floor was not supported enough and it was only a matter of time before the floor sunk. 

I was thinking of claiming on my home insurance (approx £500 claim) . I have not made a claim for several years. My question is would my premium likely rise much on renewal. (If in fact the Insurance company agree to pay out)

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Majic said:
    In a bedroom the floor has dropped down. A builder has examined and concluded a joist needs inserting and hardboard replacing which has cracked. He believes the floor was not supported enough and it was only a matter of time before the floor sunk. 

I was thinking of claiming on my home insurance (approx £500 claim) . I have not made a claim for several years. My question is would my premium likely rise much on renewal. (If in fact the Insurance company agree to pay out)
    It is likely the premiums would increase irrespective of if the claim is paid out our not and the £500 would have the excess deducted. 

Which insured peril do you think has caused the damage? Fire? Flood? Subsidence? 

Sounds more like either wear and tear or poor design/workmanship none of which is covered by Home Insurance
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree, doesn't sound like in insured event, just bad original construction.
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you, will not pursue further then.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback