Council tax on 2 rented properties

Options
Baled
Baled Posts: 82 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
Hi

I signed a new tenancy with a social housing landlord in late February. I had to give 4 weeks notice on my then council property so I held 2 tenancies at the same time.

I lived in the council property during the 4 weeks notice period so I could get decorating etc done on the new flat. The council tax on my council flat was fully paid up for the year with a 25% single person's discount applied. 

I moved into the new flat at the end of the 4 week notice period in the last week of March and informed the council tax of the change.

Today I have received a small partial refund for my old flat for the last week of March and a non-discounted charge on the new flat dated from when I signed the new tenancy in February. 

Is this correct? I didn't have any choice with the notice period and wasn't given an option to delay the start of the tenancy - I had to sign up on the day of the viewing.

Paying double rent was one thing but now a double council tax charge is even more outlay.

I will contact the council tax office as they're expecting payment in just over a week's time but I just wanted some advice on where I stand with this please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,883 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you weren’t living in the new property for a month, the council does have the option to give you a discount but that is up to their discretion. Have you asked them? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Baled
    Options
    Thanks. I will ask about a discount but given that they're bankrupt I'm not holding out much hope.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,684 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many councils no longer give short term empty property discount, so don't be too optimistic.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Baled
    edited 10 April at 10:44PM
    Options
    Spoke to the council tax customer service today and they confirmed what's been advised here. I've been told they will apply the 25% single person discount from the start of the new tenancy so that's something at least. They will be issuing 1 new bill for a 13 month period with 10 monthly installments in effect so that will be more manageable too.

I reported the change in address online just after I moved in but it seems that the social housing landlord had already provided the details to the CT office so now I've ended up with 2 account references which the CT office will sort out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback