What does purchasing full contribution years do to a full international pension?.

Options
I´m just trying to understand ;- normally, having worked in 4 different countries (UK, Finland, France and Spain) giving me a total of 42 full contribution years across the four, I should qualify for a full pension in each country pro.rated by the number of years I worked in each.

This is my understanding so far - please, let me know, if anyone thinks I have misunderstood something here, 

Now I see the possibility to purchase missing years in the UK pension scheme between 2006 and 2016 by April 2025 and I am wondering what the impact is?

I was working in France and Spain during this period (2006-2016) so all these years are ´missing. in my UK NI Record. 

So is it futile to purchase these full contribution years - because I dont actually need them for eligibility reasons, (having worked the equivalent of those years in other countries with whom the UK has bilateral agreements to recognise them as valid for earning eligibility for a full New State Pension in the UK) - or is it actually worth purchasing them because it is a bonus opportunity of doubling my UK pension whilst still maintaining what I should receive from the other state pension schemes in Finland France and Spain?

Can someone advise me? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• squirrelpie
    squirrelpie Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My reading of the gov.uk doc is that you can make voluntary payments here that will improve your UK pension. Check your online forecast to see what it says.
    Also, you should claim a pension from whichever was the last place you worked of France, Spain & Finland.
  • 4countryworker
    Options
    Thanks to Xylophone for each of those links - I´ll take a look to see if they help in any way.
  • 4countryworker
    Options
    Thanks to Squirrelpie for your comment. Yes I was aware for the submission of my pension claim and have just submitted it from Spain where I am currently resident - however, I indicated on the Pension Claim form to postpone the claim to the UK - firstly because in any case I need to be 66 years old to make a UK pension claim, I believe, and that wont be until June 2025.

Secondly, because I am having some doubts about whether or not I should take advantage of the current opportunity to purchase ´missing years´ (between 2006 and 2016) to boost my UK pension - and those doubts are the reason I opened this thread and exposed my uncertainty.

Somehow, in the context of the fact that across the 4 countries I have NO missing years (if all the data is aggregated) I am wondering if it is somehow cheating to double my pension in the UK - in other words to be getting an aggregate full pension on the basis of 52 full contribution years instead of the 42 which I actually have. What I mean is, isnt the opportunity to purchase missing years in the UK only devised for those citizens who for whatever reason dont have 35 full years as a total across any number of countries - whereas I DO have those years already without purchasing any more?

I dont know if I am clear with my doubt. I dont want to spend a few thousand pounds for nothing if at the end of the process, each country pension scheme will NOT consider any years worked over and above their own maximum requirement - in this case I would be wasting my money (around 15K GBP) for nothing!

• 4countryworker
    Options
    I thought I would ask this question again as I have no replies - but re-formulated in case it was unclear first time.

Will purchasing "missing years" identified in my UK NI record, from the period 2006-2016 before April 2025 actually increase my UK pension, or is it a waste of money because I dont actually have any "missing years" when my contributions to the Finnish, French and Spanish social security systems (during the time I worked in all these countries) are taken into account - by the UK pension service when considering my eligibility for a full new state pension.

Does anybody know, or could anyone point me in a good direction? Thanks!
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 April at 6:00PM
    Options
    The International Pensions Centre, highlighted by the xylophone, may be worth asking about. I doubt many would know the correct answer since your questions are so niche.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback