helping elderly relative with tax return

Options
I have an elderly relative with dementia. She needs to file a tax return for interest on savings. I seem unable to register her for Government Gateway as she has only one form of ID. So cant register myself as a Helper on my Gateway as she need to accept me. Any Ideas?

Comments

• BungalowBel
    BungalowBel Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask if she can have a paper return.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    James60 said:
    I have an elderly relative with dementia. She needs to file a tax return for interest on savings. I seem unable to register her for Government Gateway as she has only one form of ID. So cant register myself as a Helper on my Gateway as she need to accept me. Any Ideas?
    Did she earn more than £10,000 in savings  interest in the tax year just gone ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    James60 said:
    Do you have Power of Attorney set up?  Not necessarily for this issue specifically, but if she's going to need support with other financial matters then this will be useful soon if not already....
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She needs to file a tax return for interest on savings.

Are you sure of this?

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return

• mybestattempt
    mybestattempt Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 April at 6:02PM
    Options
    Great advice about getting a POA in place.

The GOV.UK website gives information about help for those who need extra support:

www.gov.uk/get-help-hmrc-extra-support

Have HMRC sent notice to file a self assessment return for 2023/24 or have you just calculated she is liable to pay tax for that year?

If the former there is already a self assessment record, so request a paper return. Telephone HMRC 0300 200 3610 to do this and also inform them about her dementia and thus the difficulties dealing with her tax affairs.

If the latter, write to HMRC (keep a copy and proof of postage) notifying them she is liable for 2023/24,  include your calculation and explain about the difficulties dealing with her tax affairs online because of her dementia. It will probably take months for them to respond, set up a self assessment record etc. but the legal obligation to notify she is chargeable to tax has been met.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback