We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help for debt in scotland please

Steshaleeza
Steshaleeza Posts: 8 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 10 April at 3:16PM in Debt-free wannabe
Looking for help and advice for a friend that has got into debt with bank loan and credit cards. Some of these passed to collection agencies. Think total about 15k. Not always in work and lives with parents. 
Cant see a way out and affecting mental health. 
Have read better not to do arranged payments through stepchange etc as these can last many years over the 6 that seems to be the norm. 
Is it advisable to contact debt collectors and credit cards to ask for decrease or freeze in interest?
Not in work at moment. 
Wants to protect their credit score as best they can. 
Already been refused for other credit to consolidate or to pay off some debt. 
Grateful of any advise. 
Be mindful in scotland and some rulings different. 
Thanks. 

Comments

• Corbiac
    Corbiac Posts: 3 Newbie
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Citizens Advice 
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    If you, or better still, your friend posts on the main board (you are in the diary section) you will get better advice 

@enthusiasticsaver could you ask for this to be moved please?   
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,794 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! I'm a Volunteer Ambassador
    peb said:
    If you, or better still, your friend posts on the main board (you are in the diary section) you will get better advice 

@enthusiasticsaver could you ask for this to be moved please?   
    I have asked this to be moved to DFW
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 33,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 10 Posts
    Your friend needs to do two things

Get all three of their credit records; which they can do for free. If these debts are with collections agencies and they've already been refused credit, chances are they already gave defaults against their name. In which case a) there's no credit record to protect (credit scores are made up rubbish) b) defaulting on the rest as soon as possible will reduce the number of years their credit record is impaired.

What they will be getting if they are missing some payments and paying less than demanded are getting AP markers. Those damage your friends credit record for longer than defaults.

Put together a Statement of Affairs, detailing their essential spends and income. Base their income either on their average over the last 3 months, or use their P60 for last year. 

Then we can see the extent of their problem and think about solutions.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,795 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud! Post of the Month PPI Party Pooper
    If they are not in work, write/email advising creditors of this, not much will happen if not working and living at home.

No income, not much can be done.

If/when circumstances change, then talk again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.