UC vs social care financial assessment / costs

Options
As I understand things, the "disallowed" element under a financial assessment is about £190 per week (the "personal allowance" £160 plus a top up for "disability" £30).  

If a family member is accessing daily local authority funded services, such as day centre activities, etc, is there any point in claiming / receiving the limited capacity for work related activity as that will all be financially assessed as a contribution to the local authority funded services, won't it?

e.g. Daily living PIP enhanced = £108
UC (under 25) standard = £71
Subtotal £178
UC (LCWRA) = £96
Total = £274

Personal allowance = £190, therefore £84 of the LCWRA goes to the LA to fund the services.

Is that correct?  (And yes, I appreciate that there is £12 "benefit" here, but that is a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things.  And I'm assuming zero capital being assessed).
(All figures rough and ready above of course)

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they're not claiming LCW/LCWRA then they'd be expected to look for work.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah yes of course, that makes sense. Though before the claim for lcwra went in he already been notified that he didn't have to seek work (can't remember the specifics).

But ultimately I've got the financial thing right? Money effectively goes from DWP to the LA, give or take a few £££?
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    larkim said:
    But ultimately I've got the financial thing right? Money effectively goes from DWP to the LA, give or take a few £££?
    I'm afraid I have no idea about care costs etc., sorry.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is outside my area of expertise, but does a claim for LCWRA mean that they get a NI credit paid? If it does, that's an indirect but potentially valuable reason for doing it. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    edited 9 April at 9:08PM
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    This is outside my area of expertise, but does a claim for LCWRA mean that they get a NI credit paid? If it does, that's an indirect but potentially valuable reason for doing it. 
    Simply claiming UC gives class 3 NI credits, regardless of which elements.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback