Pension Credit - Change of Circumstances

Options
Hi, does anyone know if there are PC delays in responding to reporting a Change of Circumstance? I wrote to both the PC office and the Council Tax office in mid-Feb to inform them of my partner's new p/t income, albeit a temporary 3-month contract. I haven't heard anything from either of them since, but I have proof of posting for both. The PC has continued to be paid and the CT bill has come in at £0. I spoke to the CT office but they said they haven't heard from PC yet so as far as they are aware my current eligibility still stands. Meanwhile, I am still being paid my normal weekly PC amount. I have tried ringing the PC helpline but I simply can't get through...I tried again this morning and after holding for over an hour (again!) I was cut off.  It's so infuriating.
Does anyone have any advice or has had a similar experience? Thanks for any help. Jack

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd document your C of C and your attempts to contact PC in another letter to PC (keep a copy and P of P) and also copy in your MP with the letter. 
    FYI the Pension Service are taking many months to process PC claims, so it's no surprise about their lateness in responding to a C of C.
    You need to ensure you have evidence of notifying them.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Swanseajack
    Swanseajack Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, that sounds like a good plan. I didn't pay to obtain proof of signature last time (for either letter) but my PoP clearly shows the date and the PC address. Also, if it came to it, the letters are on my laptop with dates etc. It all seems so remarkably casual that they don't respond and keep paying people, even after their eligibility ends. I am putting the money aside as I am sure they will be quick at asking for it back eventually. It seems likely that by the time they end up responding, my partner's temp contract will have finished, and I don't know what will happen then...I am older than her (she isn't SP age for 2 years) and my PC claim is a legacy claim I guess. Presumably, if she doesn't get an extension on her contract and becomes unemployed again, I would need to apply for UC? Thanks again for your advice. Jack
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably your PC claim predates 15 May 2019, after which mixed age couples were no longer able to choose whether they claim Universal Credit, Pension Credit or pension-age Housing Benefit ?

Now (as you say) mixed age couples can only claim Universal Credit until they both reach State Pension age, so your PC claim will be closed and it will be UC if needed.

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Swanseajack
    Options
    Yes, my current PC claim predates 2019, so I guess they will eventually get round to closing it down and I would claim UC in the future if need be. The crazy thing is that atm my OH is only contracted to be working for another 3 weeks, so probably by the time they respond to my CoC's they will be back to what they were before :-(
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if there are PC delays in responding to reporting a Change of Circumstance? I wrote to both the PC office and the Council Tax office in mid-Feb to inform them of my partner's new p/t income, albeit a temporary 3-month contract. I haven't heard anything from either of them since, but I have proof of posting for both. The PC has continued to be paid and the CT bill has come in at £0. I spoke to the CT office but they said they haven't heard from PC yet so as far as they are aware my current eligibility still stands. Meanwhile, I am still being paid my normal weekly PC amount. I have tried ringing the PC helpline but I simply can't get through...I tried again this morning and after holding for over an hour (again!) I was cut off.  It's so infuriating.
    Does anyone have any advice or has had a similar experience? Thanks for any help. Jack
    Best to phone as soon as lines open at 8am to be at the front of the queue.

• scottleag
    scottleag Posts: 78 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if there are PC delays in responding to reporting a Change of Circumstance? I wrote to both the PC office and the Council Tax office in mid-Feb to inform them of my partner's new p/t income, albeit a temporary 3-month contract. I haven't heard anything from either of them since, but I have proof of posting for both. 
    I wrote to them about PC to report an impending change of circumstances in mid-December but didn't get a response until mid-February, asking for further info which I provided. I've heard nothing since but was told on the phone it was 'with someone.' I'm still receiving the same amount each fortnight. I was told on the phone it was 'unlikely' I'd be asked for any repayment as I'd notified them of the change and it was their fault for not responding in time. Change would take effect from date of decision. I'm sceptical about that. The wait is annoying but nothing that can be done about it.

Best to follow @sheramber's advice about calling. The earlier the better. You might have to wait but for nowhere near as long as later in the day when it can take up to an hour to answer.
  • Swanseajack
    Options
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience, that's a similar timeframe to mine. I'll keep trying on the phone but I'm not able to call at 8am until Friday's as taking OH to work. I'll try this Fri at 8am and see if I can get through. Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback