Motor Breakdown Cover - possible to transfer policy?

Options
KittenChops
KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
edited 8 April at 12:26PM in Insurance & life assurance
I wasn't sure whether to post on this board or the Motoring board...

My husband & I have a car each, we are both named driver's on each other's policy.  In normal times, if we go out together, 99% of the time we go in his car with him driving - because his car is nicer & he's a terrible passenger!  He also drove alone far more than I did.

He had breakdown cover, which covered him in other cars.  I don't have breakdown cover - I work from home and normally if I go out alone, it'll just be a quick, local journey.

My husband's breakdown cover was due to renew tomorrow, but he has just called them to stop the auto renew, because he's currently on a new medication on which he doesn't feel he should drive until he's got used to the side effects, possibly for another month or so.  So currently I'm the only driver - when I drive it's always in my (15 year old) car - and currently I'm mostly driving alone.

Would it be possible for me to take out a breakdown policy, and then when my husband is ok to drive again, transfer it into his name?  I think it's unlikely...?

(Edited due to a typo & to add some more info)

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    why not get a policy that allows breakdown cover for anyone who drives the car?  

I did this with mine even though it's unlikely that my OH will ever drive it (car is a tiddly up and he's an XXL).  His monster car has similar cover so I can call out the service should I be driving his without him available.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • KittenChops
    Options
    Brie said:
    why not get a policy that allows breakdown cover for anyone who drives the car?  

I did this with mine even though it's unlikely that my OH will ever drive it (car is a tiddly up and he's an XXL).  His monster car has similar cover so I can call out the service should I be driving his without him available.  
    Thanks for the reply Brie
    When he starts driving again, it's more cost effective for us just to have one policy, one in his name covering him in other cars - because I rarely drive on my own (other than a short local trip, <6 miles)
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why doesn't he keep the insurance going given most the time you will be going out together and he is insured when he is in any car?

You cannot transfer the policy but you could buy a cheap policy like RAC Essentials and then cancel it but dont expect much of the £45 premium back when you do. Its only £30 more however to get both of you covered for any car inc home start etc 
  • KittenChops
    Options
    Why doesn't he keep the insurance going given most the time you will be going out together and he is insured when he is in any car?

You cannot transfer the policy but you could buy a cheap policy like RAC Essentials and then cancel it but dont expect much of the £45 premium back when you do. Its only £30 more however to get both of you covered for any car inc home start etc 
    Thanks for the reply
    At this moment in time, he's not really leaving the house much due to the side effects (motion sickness being one of them).
    I think I'm going to have to get my own breakdown policy, and then when he is able to start driving again, we'll take one out for him.
    Was worth asking, just in case
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks for the reply
    At this moment in time, he's not really leaving the house much due to the side effects (motion sickness being one of them).
    I think I'm going to have to get my own breakdown policy, and then when he is able to start driving again, we'll take one out for him.
    Just double check the price of a joint policy before buying... its £20 difference between a joint policy and a single named any car policy so £74 -v- £108 for two single policies. Unless you query if he will ever go into a car without you again in the next 6 months it'd be questionable if it's not worth getting the joint policy now. 
  • KittenChops
    Options
    DullGreyGuy said:

Thanks for the reply
    Just double check the price of a joint policy before buying... its £20 difference between a joint policy and a single named any car policy so £74 -v- £108 for two single policies. Unless you query if he will ever go into a car without you again in the next 6 months it'd be questionable if it's not worth getting the joint policy now. 
    Thank you again - will do
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure