B2 visa - american boyfriend

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you for your answer! We're not there yet..... And he has to be in de us for his job and I have to be in the netherlands for my dad, health insurance and money.  
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 April at 2:02PM
    Options
    Thank you for your answer! We're not there yet..... And he has to be in de us for his job and I have to be in the netherlands for my dad, health insurance and money.  
    Long-term I'm wondering how viable the current situation is? He has to be in the US for work (are there no options for him in NL?) and you need to be in NL for personal/financial reasons... If you started working, then you'd be spending a lot less time in the US and I expect the relationship would flounder.

(Cynically I think if you're fit enough to travel long haul and spend weeks/months travelling around the US why are you not fit enough for some types of employment?)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Long-term I'm wondering how viable the current situation is? He has to be in the US for work (are there no options for him in NL?) and you need to be in NL for personal/financial reasons... If you started working, then you'd be spending a lot less time in the US and I expect the relationship would flounder.

(Cynically I think if you're fit enough to travel long haul and spend weeks/months travelling around the US why are you're not fit enough for some types of employment?)
    I fully understand you. Employers are not very enthusiastic if you are out of work for a long time. But it's not easy. I've been looking for work for a long time now and I'm having no luck. I live in a small town with little work too.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:

(Cynically I think if you're fit enough to travel long haul and spend weeks/months travelling around the US why are you're not fit enough for some types of employment?)
    I fully understand you. Employers are not very enthusiastic if you are out of work for a long time. But it's not easy. I've been looking for work for a long time now and I'm having no luck. I live in a small town with little work too.
    And that seriously won't help you with your visa application... they look at your motivation to stay in the US -v- your motivation to return home. Being unemployed is a red flag that you'd potentially happily stay in the US if someone gave you a job there (illegally)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can he not change jobs? Work conditions are so much better in Europe... as the spouse of an EU citizen has an automatic right to live and work in any EU country apart from NL, so long as you live there.
  • Emmia
    Options
    Can he not change jobs? Work conditions are so much better in Europe... as the spouse of an EU citizen has an automatic right to live and work in any EU country apart from NL, so long as you live there.
    They're not married... 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Emmia said:
    They're not married... 
    That can be fixed easily.
  • Emmia
    Options
    Emmia said:
    They're not married... 
    That can be fixed easily.
    My sense is that the OPs OH doesn't wish to move to the Netherlands/EU and/or is in a line of work that would preclude moving - perhaps they're in the military or something like that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback