Plan 5 student loan question

Options
I'm 36 and have a place on a graduate entry medicine course. I would be 40 when I graduate. I understand the new plan 5 student loans are not written off until 40 years. Is it possible I could be repaying the loan up until I'm 80, if my income or pension were over the threshold? I'm debating whether to take up my offer due to these money worries and other concerns. Thank you

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April at 12:25PM
    Options
    cheese321 said:
    I'm 36 and have a place on a graduate entry medicine course. I would be 40 when I graduate. I understand the new plan 5 student loans are not written off until 40 years. Is it possible I could be repaying the loan up until I'm 80, if my income or pension were over the threshold? I'm debating whether to take up my offer due to these money worries and other concerns. Thank you
    Generally it's only income subject to National Insurance Contributions that is subject to student loan repayments. Pension income isn't subject to NICs so is also not subject to student loan repayments.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,988 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    cheese321 said:
    Generally it's only income subject to National Insurance Contributions that is subject to student loan repayments. Pension income isn't subject to NICs so is also not subject to student loan repayments.
    No guarantee On what the rules could be in 20 years time.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 April at 9:29AM
    Options
    silvercar said:
    Ed-1 said:
    cheese321 said:
    Absolutely but that would be a big change to the underlying structure. Of course, it would have to change if e.g. National Insurance was abolished.

At the rate we're going at, we'll be on Plan 39 by then!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,988 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    silvercar said:
    Ed-1 said:
    cheese321 said:
    Absolutely but that would be a big change to the underlying structure. Of course, it would have to change if e.g. National Insurance was abolished.

At the rate we're going at, we'll be on Plan 39 by then!
    I was thinking that pensions could become NI-able, or at least included within the threshold for loan repayment. After all, with the repayments extending to 40 years far more people are likely to be within the category of paying back loans while pensioners than at present.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback