PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lenders valuer is factually wrong. What can we do

Options
I am trying to sell my house. Had an interested buyer a month or so ago, everything was going well.
The buyers lender sent their valuer in as is normal and expected. However, the valuer reported the presence of a steel frame, no problem,  but he also reported spray foam insulation. There is no spray foam insulation. I have lived in the house for 30 years and certainly haven't had that put in. When we bought the house, the lender queried the steel frame but was happy to lend any way.
My question is what do we do now?
The estate agent has told us that the house is now unmortgagable because of the spray foam issue and we would only be able to sell to cash buyers at a much reduced cost. 
I am going out of my mind now.
Has anyone got any ideas please.

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 April at 5:56PM
    Options
    Understand you've not put any in.  But what proof do you have there wasn't any when you moved in? In your shoes I'd get a surveyor to go looking. (or evidence from your move-in survey)

How else would you know - or not know - it was factually wrong? 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure there is no spray foam insulation? It's an odd thing to declare in a survey if it's not there at all.

If it is a mistake then it isn't a problem, you just sell to someone whose surveyors don't make the same mistake.
  • dannim12345
    dannim12345 Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are still in contact with the buyer could you ask them to query where it was / provide a photo?   Its usually in a loft but guess it could be elsewhere 
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Steel frames are sometimes given a sprayed-on fire protection coating.  Is it possible you've got this, and the surveyor has mistaken it for insulation?
  • originalmissy
    originalmissy Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    If you are still in contact with the buyer could you ask them to query where it was / provide a photo?   Its usually in a loft but guess it could be elsewhere 
    Id the valuer had looked in the loft he would've seen there wasn't any spray foam. No longer in contact with the buyer but apparently this was the valuation for the lenders, they don't give reports to the borrower or anyone else apparently.
  • originalmissy
    Options
    Section62 said:

Steel frames are sometimes given a sprayed-on fire protection coating.  Is it possible you've got this, and the surveyor has mistaken it for insulation?
    I'm not sure. The steel frame looks like it was painted red but I can't see how that would've been mistaken for foam.
  • originalmissy
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Are you sure there is no spray foam insulation? It's an odd thing to declare in a survey if it's not there at all.

If it is a mistake then it isn't a problem, you just sell to someone whose surveyors don't make the same mistake.
    We bought the house over 30 years ago, was spray foam a thing then? I don't think so. Would it have not been picked up by our valuer/surveyor back then? They did pick up on the steel frame, but as I said thats not an issue.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    user1977 said:

We bought the house over 30 years ago, was spray foam a thing then? I don't think so. Would it have not been picked up by our valuer/surveyor back then?
    I would guess it would have been less likely to have been picked up on by the surveyor as being a particular problem.
  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The spray foam insulation that is often seen as a problem - is the type sprayed on the underside of the roof. Sometimes it can restrict airflow and cause problems with condensation / damp.

Have you definitely not got anything oin the underside of your roof?
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:

We bought the house over 30 years ago, was spray foam a thing then? I don't think so. Would it have not been picked up by our valuer/surveyor back then? They did pick up on the steel frame, but as I said thats not an issue.
    It was around in the 1970's, although more in commercial/agricultural settings.  Domestic use started to become more common later than that, but it doesn't mean a domestic property couldn't have been sprayed in the 1980's.

If the steelwork is red then it is more likely to be red oxide paint rather than a spray coating, but no guarantee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback