Options
2»

Comments

• stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April at 12:28PM
    Options
    I have written or phoned my creditors out of curiosity to see what they would take to settle, even though I don't have the funds, they usually write back , email with the price and tell me it's valid for 30 days.

I then learn who is the most flexible for when and if I do have the funds

pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • Pearcyovmidd
    Pearcyovmidd Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    as you have enough to pay the debts off in full, i don't think stepchange would advise you to go for reduced settlement offers

if you told them your lump sum was not enough, then I can see them advising you to make reduced full and final offers and see what happens. but if the creditors know that already, that you have more than enough,that's if stepchange have told them you have enough ?
    that leaves the question then why would step change say they are negotiating , when they don't negotiate, that is what you do by yourself 

imo I would think stepchange ask you how big is your lump sum, then advise you what to do with it 

again reading your first post you stated step change can negotiate,( which I think isn't true by stepchange). but it means they haven't done anything yet, cos they only said they can, they didn't state they have.( which means the ball is still in your court to keep negotiating after you have done your cca letters and got responses back)

can you confirm the step change email about negotiating was about lump sums it was it about a debt management plan, cos they can put the  monthly money offer to creditors and class it as negotiated 
    I've told StepChange nothing about what I've got other than my parents are helping me to clear the debts and i won't need to pay it back.

Here is what StepChange said after i mentioned about settlement and do i need to keep my DMP going……

If you stop payments before you are ready to make any settlement offers to your creditors, you risk having further interest and/or charges added to your debts, so will end up owing more and having less leeway for negotiations with them.

Using the payments you send us to pay some of your debts off earlier than others may cause your remaining creditors to pursue further action as they may feel you are showing preferential treatment to other creditors.

We have a settlements team who may be able to out the negotiations on your behalf, depending on the sum you have available. Please call in when you are ready for settlements if this of interest to you.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April at 12:43PM
    Options
    Google search engine came up with this. this is news to me. never seen this before.
    it may be older, but probably still be valid of what actually goes on in the step change team at settling 

they say they don't negotiate as such, but report back the offers from creditors for you to decide what to do next

https://moneyaware.co.uk/2012/09/full-and-final-satisfaction-from-stepchange-debt-charity/
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback