Closure of Skipton Loyalty Reg Saver early

Options
Hi I'm thinking of closing my Loy RS at 7.5% (2 mths left to maturity) and reopening their current Loy RS at 7%.  The rate is fixed and as we know interest rates are on their way down so don't know how much longer this will be available.

2 questions if anyone who has done this knows. 
Would I be credited the correct interest rate of 7.5% on early closure?
How long would i need to wait before reopening the other Loy RS?

Many thanks

Comments

• Angelica123
    Angelica123 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have closed and reopened the current issue to move some of my regular savings interest to tax year 25/26. Closed immediately and could reopen same day
  • Growingold
    Growingold Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have closed and reopened the current issue to move some of my regular savings interest to tax year 25/26. Closed immediately and could reopen same day
    Did you receive the 7.5% interest still?
  • Angelica123
    Options
    I had the 7% issue. But got 7% on what was in there
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April at 12:15PM
    Options
    Did you receive the 7.5% interest still?
    It took all  of about 5 minutes to close the 7.5 and open the new. And interest was correct.
  • dingling68
    dingling68 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too closed the 7.5% issue 2 and opened 7% issue 3 this morning and all very quickly and correctly handled 
    Save £12k in 2022 #54 reporting for duty 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I couldn't close my 7.5% one online as the option to close was greyed out but it worked like a dream in the app. Money arrived within the hour in my current account. New account set up and funded in no time.

If you have an standing order for the 7.5% one, don't forget to cancel it.

With thanks to the OP for the idea of securing a 7% account for another year.
  • barafear799
    barafear799 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi - just to clarify (Angelica123) - are you saying that you closed the current issue 3 (7%, £250 per month max) - and were able to immediately open a new issue 3 (7%, £250 pm). So seems like a good deal in order to lock in 12 months of the 7% fixed rate - although I see you did it for the tax on interest reasons - in terms of making a monthly contribution - I assume it would be ok to make a contribution of £250 in April into the new account (even if I had already paid £250 in April into the account I plan to close) ? 
  • Angelica123
    Options
    Hi - just to clarify (Angelica123) - are you saying that you closed the current issue 3 (7%, £250 per month max) - and were able to immediately open a new issue 3 (7%, £250 pm). So seems like a good deal in order to lock in 12 months of the 7% fixed rate - although I see you did it for the tax on interest reasons - in terms of making a monthly contribution - I assume it would be ok to make a contribution of £250 in April into the new account (even if I had already paid £250 in April into the account I plan to close) ? 
    Yes that is correct. I needed to move some of my regular saver interest into tax year 25/26 and Skipton seemed a no brainer as I could close and re-open at the same rate. No issues with paying £250 in April in new account - in fact, it needs a contribution within 30 days or they will close the account)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback