Motorbike insurance with an non motoring conviction help!

Options
Adam2024
Adam2024 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
Good evening all,
I’m having major problems trying to get motorbike insurance with a non motoring conviction. 

I’m able to get quotes, but when I go to buy it tells me to call, when I call they go through all the details, put me on hold to speak to the underwriter and the comeback that they are unable to quote.

When questioned why, they’ve said it’s because I’ve made online quotes with different information, all I’ve done was to see what the prices would be with and without a conviction, it literally says at the end of quotes, if they can’t go back and amend the details!?!?! And that’s all I’ve done out of Curiosity.

I’ve always been upfront and transparent.
I’ve had no issues previously.
Bike licence held for 17 Years. 
1 years no claims with the same details.

I’ve tried all the big companies, and it’s all coming down to the underwriter.

I’m at a lose end, any help advice is appreciated.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is your conviction honest based (eg fraud)? Presumably you've checked it isn't spent already?

Charities for ex-convicts like Unlocked maintain a list of brokers/insurers that are more accepting of past mistakes but some convictions are inevitably more difficult to deal with than others when insurance is a contract of utmost good faith. 
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's hardly transparent to do a quote 'with and without' a conviction.

Comparison sites are not a toy to be played around with especially with something as potentially as serious as a conviction. 

You are now paying the penalty for your 'curiousity'
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Comparison sites are not a toy to be played around with especially with something as potentially as serious as a conviction. 

I didn't know the comparrison sites did this, and although I have no convictions, if I did i might put the details in twice to see just how much my bad decision or whatever was going to cost me. I wouldn't do it with the intention of not declaring, just like you say - curiosity maybe. I've done comparisons for different cars before when I dont own them just to see what insurance would be if I chose that model. I can see that's different, but again. not done with any bad intent.

Sorry OP I can't help, but I sympathise, and there are posters who have worked in insurance who might be along to help.
  • Adam2024
    Adam2024 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    BoGoF said:

I didn't know the comparrison sites did this, and although I have no convictions, if I did i might put the details in twice to see just how much my bad decision or whatever was going to cost me. I wouldn't do it with the intention of not declaring, just like you say - curiosity maybe. I've done comparisons for different cars before when I dont own them just to see what insurance would be if I chose that model. I can see that's different, but again. not done with any bad intent.

Sorry OP I can't help, but I sympathise, and there are posters who have worked in insurance who might be along to help.
    Same here, I was looking for advice but got a telling off. 😂

It was Curiosity that killed the cat right? 

The fact that it allows you to amend to see different quotes is surely misleading if they then are going to hold it against you. 

Every days a school day I guess.  

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    edited 6 April at 11:48AM
    Options
    BoGoF said:

It generally asks if you own the car yet so you would answer no to that when comparing models.

When asked about convictions it says "do you have" by saying yes you are saying you do have them, no ifs no buts. Then doing another quote without them looks 'dodgy' to say the least.

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,478 Forumite
    Options
  • cw8825
    cw8825 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The Adam2024 said:
    Good evening all,
    I’m having major problems trying to get motorbike insurance with a non motoring conviction. 

I’m able to get quotes, but when I go to buy it tells me to call, when I call they go through all the details, put me on hold to speak to the underwriter and the comeback that they are unable to quote.

When questioned why, they’ve said it’s because I’ve made online quotes with different information, all I’ve done was to see what the prices would be with and without a conviction, it literally says at the end of quotes, if they can’t go back and amend the details!?!?! And that’s all I’ve done out of Curiosity.

I’ve always been upfront and transparent.
    I’ve had no issues previously.
    Bike licence held for 17 Years. 
    1 years no claims with the same details.

I’ve tried all the big companies, and it’s all coming down to the underwriter.

I’m at a lose end, any help advice is appreciated.

A lot of the big companies are underwritten by the same companies anyway. 

From experience the conviction itself will be a bigger factor. This is of course assuming you’re buying the quote including them. 
    If your buying the quote including convictions which presumably costs more they multiple searches are unlikely to be the actual reason. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback