We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Requesting a 50% refund for already-paid road tax.

To cut the story, short, I applied online to renew my road tax, for which I am eligible for a 50% reduction because of PIP. I made the mistake of paying the FULL amount online.

I am now unable to locate any information about how to get my 50% returned.

Any ideas?

Comments

  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I think you would need to cancel it and then reapply to get the 50% discount. I don't think you can change it after. DVLA on gov.uk woudl be your best option.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,995 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    To cut the story, short, I applied online to renew my road tax, for which I am eligible for a 50% reduction because of PIP. I made the mistake of paying the FULL amount online.

    I am now unable to locate any information about how to get my 50% returned.

    Any ideas?
    You can't apply online for this discount. You need to send all your documents to DVLA. 
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    My Mum has to do this every year, it's a right faff. Each year she has to pay the full amount and then send off her PIP documents/V5 and MOT to request 50% back... then they send a cheque, takes weeks and weeks though. She has asked if there's an easier way and they said no.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wow that is hard work.
    We get full road tax free, it’s so simple after the first time.
    Take log book to post office first time it’s sent off and registered as disabled, then on just renewed free online.
    I feel sorry for you guys.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Loz01 said:
    My Mum has to do this every year, it's a right faff. Each year she has to pay the full amount and then send off her PIP documents/V5 and MOT to request 50% back... then they send a cheque, takes weeks and weeks though. She has asked if there's an easier way and they said no.
    Totally agree, we have had to do it this way for years as well. 

    I  just don’t understand why they can’t come up with a simpler option, preferably online.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,995 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    melbury said:
    Loz01 said:
    My Mum has to do this every year, it's a right faff. Each year she has to pay the full amount and then send off her PIP documents/V5 and MOT to request 50% back... then they send a cheque, takes weeks and weeks though. She has asked if there's an easier way and they said no.
    Totally agree, we have had to do it this way for years as well. 


    For 11 years to be exact. The way to claim it has never been different since PIP was introduced. 
  • mindboggle
    mindboggle Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post

    DVLA received my 50% claim letter on 24th February 2026 for the previous year's fully paid road tax and I'm still waiting for cheque or any acknowledgement my letter was received on this day 23rd March. If I hadn't paid road tax they would have been very quick at informing me of this and very quick to take the money. Think the claim back is not available to do online to make it difficult and to hopefully discourage people from going to the trouble of claiming their 50% back as it's got to be done by post and include relevant documents with it. Unbelievable in this day and age that it can't be done online and easily applied for ahead of paying the full amount.

  • mindboggle
    mindboggle Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post

    Update to my previous post. I received acknowledgement on Monday 23rd March 2026 after posting my comment and 50% refund is to follow.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.