Royal Mail Tracked Delivery to wrong address

Options
Wife ordered some clothes online and the items were sent recorded delivery however the items are showing as being delivered but with a picture of someone else front door.

So it's clear the items have been delivered to the wrong address, I tried to contact Royal Mail but their online system just asks you to call a number which I did but after waiting 40 minutes it disconnected.

So it's not the fault of the seller but what options do I have? Just wait and hope someone will post it to my address?

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had something similar - there are two streets where I live and they run into each other - both have number 5's so sometimes mail goes to the wrong address.

the parcel will have had a postcode on it so it's fair guess it's nearby - do you recognise the type of house - could it be one the same estate or just round the corner?
  • bigpappa
    bigpappa Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    I've had something similar - there are two streets where I live and they run into each other - both have number 5's so sometimes mail goes to the wrong address.

the parcel will have had a postcode on it so it's fair guess it's nearby - do you recognise the type of house - could it be one the same estate or just round the corner?
    I walked around a bit but couldn't recognise the door and felt a bit weird doing it.

It's not so much the items - they were party dresses so unless they turn up in the next few days there will be no surprise. lol
  • SimonFF
    SimonFF Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It is still the seller's responsibility if it is clear (and you can prove) that they were delivered to the wrong address. The seller has failed to deliver, not RM. They will have to refund you and then take it with RM.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    edited 5 April at 4:48PM
    Options
    you don't have a contract with RM the seller does

yes of course you can be helpful and walk around the area and make some guesses and see if you can find out where they went but in the end you have to go back to the seller and say I haven't received my items.

the seller should then refund you or send you a replacement. if they don't your first port of call is to follow the seller's complaints procedure assuming they have one

is this does not produce a resolution then your second option is to go to the card company and request a chargeback on the basis of non delivery. This would apply if you paid by debit card or credit card

the card company may refund you but if subsequently down the road the seller challenges it then your refund may be taken away - it is a bit of a lottery

if this happens then your final avenue is the small claims procedure against the seller - you put your side of the arguments and the judge decides, although with a delivery photo of the wrong door it should be slam dunk in your favour

oh the joys of buying online!
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had something similar recently where it was probably delivered to the right house but had been stolen before I got home. There was a card through my door to say it had been placed behind my bins (even though I had asked for it to be left with a neighbour). Fortunately the supplier didn't quibble at all and I got a full refund. Later that week I watched a Royal Mail van driver leaving a parcel outside another house in my road. No attempt made to try a neighbour's house.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,576 Forumite
    Options
    If the local delivery office is nearby, you could try calling in with tracking no. They maybe able to pull up gps location.
    Life in the slow lane
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a local Facebook page? On mine there is often photos of front doors with people asking if anyone recognises them because they want their parcel. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback