How to remove shiny cover on self-adhesive mirror

Options
I bought a roll of self-adhesive wall mirror sheet from B&Q. One side has yellow paper which is easy to peel off revealing the adhesive side. The other has a shiny blue covering but I can’t find an edge to grab to pull and reveal the mirror (it arrived without instructions). Any useful ideas please? Thank you 

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a craft knife? If so, choose a corner, and run it lightly across the corner at 45o, say 10mm from the corner tip. Gently fold the sheet backwards along that line, and see if you've cut through the blue film - the cut should show/open up if you have. 
    If so, use your finger nail on the exposed edge. If not, run the knife again, with slightly more pressure.
  • AndrewAfresh2
    AndrewAfresh2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a craft knife? If so, choose a corner, and run it lightly across the corner at 45o, say 10mm from the corner tip. Gently fold the sheet backwards along that line, and see if you've cut through the blue film - the cut should show/open up if you have. 
    If so, use your finger nail on the exposed edge. If not, run the knife again, with slightly more pressure.
    The knife method worked brilliantly, thank you very much. Also when I was pressing it against the wall, when my fingertips went over the edge, the film started to come away.

However the mirror doesn't look great it has a fairground hall-of-mirrors effect, which I read about in reviews of ebay sold ones, but hoped one from B&Q wouldn't be like that.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 April at 8:03AM
    Options
    I think the fairground effect is slightly inherent in those mirrors (the B&Q and the eBay ones are probably made in the same factory).

What are you using the mirror for?
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't come across this product before, but am I right in thinking it's basically a sheet of reflective material that you stick straight on to a wall ?  If so, it's probably not surprising that it's giving an odd reflection - it will show up every imperfection in the wall.  Unless your wall is absolutely perfectly flat (highly unlikely) then you're going to get some distortion.
    The wall may look flat to the naked eye, but a reflective film will almost magnify the slightest little imperfection.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We bought a round plain mirror for our bathroom and i stuck it too the wall with twin sided tape ,never slipped or came loose ,had a job taking it off the wall when we had the bathroom re-modelled.
    The wall was tiled by the way.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback