Can I fit additional brackets to my boiler flue myself?

Options
Hi,

My boiler flue goes up vertically through my loft and then up through the roof.
I have recently been told that the flue is not adequately supported in the loft and needs additional supporting brackets attaching to studs in the loft.

Is this a pieve of work I can carry out myself - without disturbing the flue location/position in any way - or must it be done by a Gas Safe engineer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who told you ?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You are not opening up the combustion chamber, touching the gas supply, or disturbing the flue. So yes, you can add additional supports.
    When I had my boiler fitted last year, the fat fingered installer couldn't get his tools in to fix noggins & bits for the support brackets. Rather than watch him make a pigs ear of it, I installed the brackets & noggins myself.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,056 Forumite
    Options
    We don't know your level of practical competent, Jazzhands, although your username is not very reassuring.
    Assuming that you can obtain the correct brackets, find suitable securing points, and can fit them over the flue without moving or disrupting it, then it's your call if you wish to proceed based on that.
    In essence, provided the job is done correctly, there should be no issues - literally, or legally.
  • Jazzhands
    Jazzhands Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We don't know your level of practical competent, Jazzhands, although your username is not very reassuring.

I've renovated a couple of properties from bare shell so I'd regard myself of fairly competent.

I got hold of 5 manufacturer (Vaillant) specific brackets.  They'll just need attaching to noggins.
  • Jazzhands
    Options
    Who told you ?
    Vaillant engineer.  Now Vaillant are refusing to touch the boiler again until it's sorted because "it doesn't meet installation specifications", though it was installed 12 years ago.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,056 Forumite
    Options
    Jazzhands said:
    We don't know your level of practical competent, Jazzhands, although your username is not very reassuring.

I've renovated a couple of properties from bare shell so I'd regard myself of fairly competent.

I got hold of 5 manufacturer (Vaillant) specific brackets.  They'll just need attaching to noggins.

I was yanking yer chain re 'Jazzhands' :-)
    Cool - sounds as tho' you have it sorted. They will not - have no right to - ask who did the work. It either conforms or it doesn't.
  • Jazzhands
    Options

I was yanking yer chain re 'Jazzhands' :-)

It's ok I got the tongue in cheek  ;)
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Jazzhands said: I got hold of 5 manufacturer (Vaillant) specific brackets.  They'll just need attaching to noggins.
    They didn't didn't need to be Vaillant branded. The flue is (should) be a standard size - 100mm diameter if I recall.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My boiler needed the same (Worcester Bosch), the gas safe engineer told me so long as it was done right there was no rule on who could do it. There are rules for the positioning of supports that I have forgotten all the details of, though one of which was a support every change of direction. If you have/can find the regs for the supports it should be quite straightforward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback