Artificial Grass Quote

Options
Danger_Mouse
Danger_Mouse Posts: 96 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 April at 12:30PM in Is this quote fair?
had a quote for artificial grass for quite a small area at the front of my house. Details are:

Details and scope of work included:

- Removal of any unwanted garden waste for example plants and/or borders that suit the
design and specifications of the project.
- Removal of any turf or hard standings (if necessary) and any levelling needed.
- A detailed and sturdy edging around the entire perimeter of the area. Using 2x1 exterior
treated timber, excellent for providing a permanent fix without the need for nails or
pegs.
- Compressed drainage layer of MOT measuring from a minimum of 30-50mm in depth
for added rigidity and longevity to the base works and added drainage.
- Expertly screeded layer of fine limestone dust or grit sand for a smooth topcoat on the
base. Also compressed and coated a second time for the perfect finish.
- Topped off with a high quality and durable geo-textured weed membrane.
- The artificial grass product chosen is laid and cut-in delicately and expertly. Being joined
at the seams with precision and care using two-part adhesive and seam tape. The grass
is then screwed around the edges as to be long lasting and secure.

Ive added a couple of pics. The plan is to install artifical where the current grass is and also where the slate is. Ive also asked them to remove the shrubs to the right of the grass

The grass they've quoted me on is the most expensive in the range (of course it is) but it does look nice quality and very much like real grass. I am going to go back to them to ask for prices on a couple of their different types of grass but when they came round to quote, they said the grass price wouldnt be that much different because its a small area

Quote price is £1,124 (estimated 1 working day)

Im in Cheshire

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,772 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 April at 10:55AM
    Options
    had a quote for artificial grass for quite a small area at the front of my house. Details are:

- Topped off with a high quality and durable geo-textured weed membrane.
    - The artificial grass product chosen is laid and cut-in delicately and expertly.
    Please, rethink the idea of using plastic in the garden. Weeds will self seed in the artificial grass (outdoor carpet), and the roots will mat in to both the membrane and the "grass". End result is none of it will be recyclable, nor can it be composted. Consequently, it will eventually end up in landfill.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why would you want artificial grass when what you have looks pretty reasonable to me? It's your choice of course, but can't understand why people want to cover perfectly good areas like you have with bits of green plastic. Where I've seen it done, it just looks fake, and after a while looks awful. If it's the maintenance you struggle with, it would take quite a few visits from a gardener that you paid to get anywhere near £1124. If ever I was looking at a house to buy, and it had artificial grass - it would also make me think 'what else have they covered up on the cheap?'

So if you really, really want it - go for it - but do think it through before plonking a piece of plastic on the ground that will end up in landfill two years down the line.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback