2»

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,788 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 April at 1:08PM
    Options
    £380k-£207k= £177k-£84,600 at worst= £92,400

Delay the divorce a bit and the repaid discount decreases, so your equity increases.

Think you'd be a mug to settle for £35k given that the younger child is an adult, so their needs won't affect the settlement. And you haven't even thought about pensions.

Sit tight.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 April at 3:41PM
    Options
    House and savings apart, do you each have pensions?  If so, then their cash equivalent values are also classed as marital assets.

Is he by any chance offering you this £35K as a clean break settlement - allowing him to walk away with much more in his pension(s) ?
    I don't think he has even thought about pensions, it's not been mentioned. 

It's something that you both need to look at.  Pensions, expecially if you are both some way from retirement age, are so often dismissed until it is too late to do anything about them.

I'm not saying that your hubby is like this, but some time ago I was chatting with the friend of a friend who knew that I was in the pensions industry.  They had very little in the way of property or savings assets, and her husband had offered her £50K as a clean break.  I asked her about pensions, and it turned out that he had nearly 30 years service in the Civil Service - but he had told her that his pension 'was  not worth bothering with, as it was less than £20K'. 

She thought that meant that she would only get £10K in the event of a pension sharing order.  Until I told her that the cash equivalent value of a public sector DB pension of £20K per year would be something in between £400K and £500K.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback