We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Documents needed for PAYE

Hello,

I have been employed till mid May 2022 (the company went into administration then) and got P45. I have been self employed from then till now, but I am starting a new full time job on 8th April 2024. 

What documents do I need to provide to PAYE? Is the old P45 still valid? I do not have P60 for 2023, but have for 2022. I have filled in self -assessment for 22/23 this January.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You don't need to provide anything, just fill in a new starter checklist. Your P45 is doubly invalid, it would have been invalid anyway for the current tax year, and you'll be starting in the next tax year so there wont be anything to carry forward. Your P60 and tax return are irrelevant.
    Your new employer should give you the checklist to complete but it can be done online if necessary.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 449 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Kasia1981 said:
    Hello,

I have been employed till mid May 2022 (the company went into administration then) and got P45. I have been self employed from then till now, but I am starting a new full time job on 8th April 2024. 

What documents do I need to provide to PAYE? Is the old P45 still valid? I do not have P60 for 2023, but have for 2022. I have filled in self -assessment for 22/23 this January.

Thank you for your help.
    just fill in a new starter checklist , especially as you are starting the role in april and in the new Tax year. 

will you be ceasing  your slef employed work ?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Kasia1981 said:
    Hello,

Thank you for your help.
    Do not give any of those documents to your new employer.

Ask them for a new starter checklist and tick statement A.

You will then be out on the emergency tax code (1257L) on a cumulative basis.

When you come to file your 2024-25 Self Assessment return don't forget to include your PAYE earnings.
  • Kasia1981
    Kasia1981 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary First Post
    EnPointe said:
    Kasia1981 said:
    Hello,

Thank you for your help.
    just fill in a new starter checklist , especially as you are starting the role in april and in the new Tax year. 

will you be ceasing  your slef employed work ?
    Thank you, new starter checklist worked!

I will not be ceasing self employment, therefore will need to still do self assessment next year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.