IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

permit parking, Slough

Options
Time has come up to renew the resident parking permits for our cars and we plan to move out in a month or so. However, there's 2 things to note

They cleverly increased the pricing after introducing the scheme last year right after everyone signed on to the permits

Also They have noted that all permits are non refundable - surely if I don't need to use it 11 months I should get refund?

Please advise as this bankrupt council thinks we are made of money

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Best bet not renew & park off road if possible. 

Is permit registered to car registration or house?
    Life in the slow lane
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    Options
    What happens if you change the car half way through - do they amend the permit or do you have to buy a new one?

I assume you are paying for 12 months - so if you don't use it you get no benefit 
  • Haseeb122
    Haseeb122 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the response from the thieves: Please note that all permits are non-refundable or exchangeable.

So, if I change car I guess have to get a new permit for 12 months and I lose remaining months on previous permit.

The permit is registered to house and car as per my understanding.
    They ask for proof of vehicle (v5c) and address - utility bill. Max 2 cars per household

There's no off road parking available. I don't really want to renew as it's 75 for first car and then 125 additional for second car and if we are moving out in a month it's a big amount of money down the drain
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Haseeb122 said:

Please advise as this bankrupt council thinks we are made of money
    We major on unregulated private parking companies. If you are dealing with a council, you'd be better off taking this to the Free Traffic Legal Advice forum at https://ftla.uk
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    Options
    I think Slough outsource parking - so your gripe maybe with some other thieves?

Have you spoken to your local councillor?
  • Haseeb122
    Haseeb122 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Councillor has been spoken to but I will try again regarding this specific issue.

And yes it's been outsourced to Saba parking
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Haseeb122 said:
    This is the response from the thieves: Please note that all permits are non-refundable or exchangeable.

So, if I change car I guess have to get a new permit for 12 months and I lose remaining months on previous permit.

The permit is registered to house and car as per my understanding.
    They ask for proof of vehicle (v5c) and address - utility bill. Max 2 cars per household

There's no off road parking available. I don't really want to renew as it's 75 for first car and then 125 additional for second car and if we are moving out in a month it's a big amount of money down the drain
    So, when you Google & look at results such as: 'Park at my House' or JustPark, there's nothing nearby that you could use for a month? There must be somewhere.  Talk to a local business with underused parking behind, and ask if you can rent a space for a month?

Or: ask on a local neighbour's online group for visitor parking permits some may have spare?  
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure