Car insurance - renewal cheaper than comparison sites

Options
Hi, 

I would be interested to know if other people are getting renewal quotes from existing car insurers that are cheaper than using the big comparison sites?

I renewed two car insurance policies today and the quotes worked out like this:

Car 1 - Go Compare = £370.19, Confused = £390.84, Tesco renewal = £354.15
Car 2 - Confused = £288.43, Yoga renewal = £285.85

Has the penny dropped finally?

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, for my last car which I sold in the first week of March, the renewal with Yoga (£169) was less than any of the comparison sites and still less than the Topcashbackcompare price even taking into account the £45 cashback on offer, 

However, Yoga were way above the others for my new car, they wanted £808 whereas I actually paid £287 with RAC via TCB and hopefully will receive £45 back in a couple of months.
  • bucksman
    bucksman Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used the big comparison websites and then needed to make a change to some of the information I had given in the quotation.  I called Admiral and had brilliant service/advice from them and was encouraged to re-submit online as this gave additional reductions than by doing this over the phone.  Well done to Admiral for their great service and customer care - I hasten to add I am not employed by them!  Their quote was even lower than last year's premium! 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    bucksman said:
    I used the big comparison websites and then needed to make a change to some of the information I had given in the quotation.  I called Admiral and had brilliant service/advice from them and was encouraged to re-submit online as this gave additional reductions than by doing this over the phone.  Well done to Admiral for their great service and customer care - I hasten to add I am not employed by them!  Their quote was even lower than last year's premium! 
    Be aware with Admiral two things:

1) You must declare any changes to your car including any optional extras selected when the car was built, almost all other insurers its only things done after the car was built

2) Even though you have to declare everything they do not insure your optional extras so if you've paid a load for leather seats, metallic paint, bigger alloys etc you'll get paid out as if you had the total vanilla version 
  • bucksman
    bucksman Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bucksman said:

1) You must declare any changes to your car including any optional extras selected when the car was built, almost all other insurers its only things done after the car was built

2) Even though you have to declare everything they do not insure your optional extras so if you've paid a load for leather seats, metallic paint, bigger alloys etc you'll get paid out as if you had the total vanilla version 
    Thank you for this good to know.
  • NINJA59
    NINJA59 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 April at 3:22PM
    Options
    bucksman said:

That is no longer true for Admiral they changed it finally in November last year and optional extras fitted at point of manufacture are not modifications anymore just like every other insurer now.

Additionally optional extras are now covered.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    NINJA59 said:
    bucksman said:

That is no longer true for Admiral they changed it finally in November last year and optional extras fitted at point of manufacture are not modifications anymore just like every other insurer now.

Additionally optional extras are now covered.
    Thanks for the update... still only optional extras at point of manufacture covered, post manufacture modifications (inc optional extras) aren't unless for disability.
  • jcjohnyb
    jcjohnyb Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    renewal quote £545 best comparison sites quotes £705 wiyh no claims or accidents ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback