Salary Question

Options
I'm about to start a new job, and it's the first time I've been on an annual salary, so this is all a bit new to me. My contract states that I get paid two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance. As I start a week before payday, does that mean I'd get paid the equivalent of three weeks of my salary, or am I understanding this wrong? Thanks in advance for any answers 

Comments

• tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on whether you start before the cut off date for payroll changes - not something anyone here can tell you.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm about to start a new job, and it's the first time I've been on an annual salary, so this is all a bit new to me. My contract states that I get paid two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance. As I start a week before payday, does that mean I'd get paid the equivalent of three weeks of my salary, or am I understanding this wrong? Thanks in advance for any answers 
    It's more likely that you won't be paid on the first payday (because you'll probably miss the cut off date for running payroll - and your employer won't want to fork out too much cash for someone who might show up on for a week then never again; it happens!), but will need to wait until the next one, when you'll be paid for your first week + a month.

The only way to be sure is to ask your new employer when you start - but budget on that basis.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • redpantsandjam
    redpantsandjam Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marcon said:
    It's more likely that you won't be paid on the first payday (because you'll probably miss the cut off date for running payroll - and your employer won't want to fork out too much cash for someone who might show up on for a week then never again; it happens!), but will need to wait until the next one, when you'll be paid for your first week + a month.

The only way to be sure is to ask your new employer when you start - but budget on that basis.
      Thanks. I'm hoping it works out that I start in time, especially as I'm not - strictly speaking - new to the organisation, so they know my track record for attending. Having just checked, it looks like my start date is two days before the payroll run, so fingers crossed... 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
      Thanks. I'm hoping it works out that I start in time, especially as I'm not - strictly speaking - new to the organisation, so they know my track record for attending. Having just checked, it looks like my start date is two days before the payroll run, so fingers crossed... 
    Honestly, unless it's a tiny organisation with payroll run in-house, I think you'll have missed the cut-off. And I speak as someone who used to run a small in-house payroll.

It's not a task to squeeze into an odd 5 minutes. I had to plan when I'd collate the information I needed, when I'd do it, when my manager would check it, when I'd run any corrections, when my colleague would set up the payments, when I'd authorise them. I used to have to spread it all over a week, at least.

However, what you might be able to ask for is an advance, to be deducted from your first proper payment. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have missed the pay cut off it is worth checking if you have paid the correct NI.  When two payments are made together like this it has been known for the NI to be calculated as if it is one payment whereas it should be calculated as two separate payments.  Off course if you are on a fairly high salary this could be to your advantage so use the link below to check what the NI should be for each month and compare with what you have paid.
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-employer-employee-national-insurance-contributions/start/period-of-ni-contributions?c=1
    Employers guide section 3.1.5 Example 1
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cwg2-further-guide-to-paye-and-national-insurance-contributions/2022-to-2023-employer-further-guide-to-paye-and-national-insurance-contributions#para32
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends on whether you start before the cut off date for payroll changes - not something anyone here can tell you.
    It's not  necessarily  'start'  before cut off, It's having the stuff in place  before cut off  

For instance i started a new job not that long ago , the  start  date was a couple of days after the  payroll cut off  and  11  days into the month , however when I ( and other new starters ) were sent our  offer letters we were told that we needed to  get the payroll information and a completed HMRC new starter form  ( unless we had a P45 )  in before the pay roll cut off  so we would get paid a part mothn's basic wage on the normal pay day. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback