GCSE English - Tips?

Options
Hey guys, 

My nephew is due to sit his GCSEs in around 5 weeks or so. On the whole he's expected to broadly pass most subjects with 5-7 grades. However, English, both language and literature, he's on course for a 3. Less than ideal!

I'm trying to find out what I can do to help him out. I'm no expert myself, but managed B in both English language and lit, but this was a long time ago, 98-99, something like that! I am university educated, at a decent uni, again a long time ago! 

I'm quite surprised his school don't seem to be doing much on past papers, or so he says. 

I'm guessing it's far too late to evolve a tutor? I'm just trying to think what I can do to get him over the line and getting a pass. 

I was thinking I needed to find his exam board, find last papers with marking schemes and sort of coach him to make sure he satisfies it and had this at the front of his mind? Sadly I didn't study anything he's doing for literature, oh and it seems you can't take the Anthology in with you anymore! Harsh! 

Any help much appreciated! 

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’d say his parents should talk to his English teacher.  There will be previous papers available, and the teacher will tell them where any weaknesses are and how to work on them.
  • ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not too sure if his Mum has tried that or not, I'll ask - English isn't her first language and she's probably not too confident talking to teachers about this :/ 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DS3 was threatening to 'fail' his English Language GCSE and was sent home at Easter with a number of past papers, at both Higher and Foundation level. The idea was that if he completed them, they'd have an idea which level to enter him at. I don't know if the system works in the same way now. 

Anyway, he did a few, and I looked at the way the levels worked, and pointed out to him that if he was entered at Foundation level, the highest grade he could get was a C, and he'd need to get (I think) 80% of the marks in order to do so. 

Whereas if he was entered at Higher level, he'd only need to get 60% of the available marks to get a C, and might also do better than that. 

There was a lot of muttering about the stupidity of some of the tasks, but he did pull his finger out to be entered at the higher level. 

I'm wondering if Mum could make an appointment to talk to the teacher after Easter, and you go along too? In some ways I'm surprised help isn't being offered already: I've seen schools working really hard to get their students through "5 GCSE at grade x or above including Maths and English Language". 

Meanwhile over Easter you may be able to get some past papers online, or even just the BBC Bitesize website might help.

One tip from my DH to our eldest was "never underestimate the stupidity of the examiner': in other words, you may think the examiner should KNOW the answer to this question, so they can't possibly be asking something this basic, but they really are asking that question, so that's the one you have to answer, even though you know they know the answer! That's maybe more for English Lit, and tbh I'd concentrate on the Language. 

What are his plans for next year? Again, DS3 wanted to go into the school's 6th form, and they said yes, they'd let him in without English Language, but he'd have to resit it at Christmas, and again in the summer, and if he still didn't get a good enough grade, they'd boot him out. Again, realising that he woudn't be able to give it up until he'd got a half-decent grade helped him get his act together, but that may also reassure you that it doesn't have to completely derail his future. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Revision guides would be a good place to start - make sure you've got got the right board & specification.  You should be able to get the information from his school's website or exam timetable. Past papers are available online from the exam board.
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are catch-up classes available at lunchtimes or after school?

I fear it's too late to find a tutor as most will be fully booked as we approach exam season.

An alternative might be sixth formers or former A level students looking to earn some extra money.
    Facebook groups are a good place to start and most will allow you to post anonymously, if nephew is a bit embarrassed to ask.
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    DS3 was threatening to 'fail' his English Language GCSE and was sent home at Easter with a number of past papers, at both Higher and Foundation level. The idea was that if he completed them, they'd have an idea which level to enter him at. I don't know if the system works in the same way now. 

Anyway, he did a few, and I looked at the way the levels worked, and pointed out to him that if he was entered at Foundation level, the highest grade he could get was a C, and he'd need to get (I think) 80% of the marks in order to do so. 

Whereas if he was entered at Higher level, he'd only need to get 60% of the available marks to get a C, and might also do better than that. 

There was a lot of muttering about the stupidity of some of the tasks, but he did pull his finger out to be entered at the higher level. 

I'm wondering if Mum could make an appointment to talk to the teacher after Easter, and you go along too? In some ways I'm surprised help isn't being offered already: I've seen schools working really hard to get their students through "5 GCSE at grade x or above including Maths and English Language". 

Meanwhile over Easter you may be able to get some past papers online, or even just the BBC Bitesize website might help.

One tip from my DH to our eldest was "never underestimate the stupidity of the examiner': in other words, you may think the examiner should KNOW the answer to this question, so they can't possibly be asking something this basic, but they really are asking that question, so that's the one you have to answer, even though you know they know the answer! That's maybe more for English Lit, and tbh I'd concentrate on the Language. 

What are his plans for next year? Again, DS3 wanted to go into the school's 6th form, and they said yes, they'd let him in without English Language, but he'd have to resit it at Christmas, and again in the summer, and if he still didn't get a good enough grade, they'd boot him out. Again, realising that he woudn't be able to give it up until he'd got a half-decent grade helped him get his act together, but that may also reassure you that it doesn't have to completely derail his future. 
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm not sure if that system still operates, I think it does, and I'm sure he'd be in Foundation level. 

Good tip about answering the question, even if it's painfully obvious!

I too was surprised the school weren't busting a guy to get a pass from him too - although I only have his side of the story of course! For th entire 5th year of senior school (yeah, I'm that old lol) we were basically being coached how to answer and give the examiner what they wanted!

I believe his plans are a local sixth form, but it's the one I went to, they'd not be interested in outsiders who weren't decent. Some other local places too. 

His Mum was mentioning a resit would be mandatory if a pass wasn't achieved. 

I think in his head he's sort of written it off, despite the consequences, which is disheartening, and no amount of talking seems to change that. So the challenge is getting him engaged in something he's not good at and skilling him up! 
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    Are catch-up classes available at lunchtimes or after school?

I fear it's too late to find a tutor as most will be fully booked as we approach exam season.

An alternative might be sixth formers or former A level students looking to earn some extra money.
    Facebook groups are a good place to start and most will allow you to post anonymously, if nephew is a bit embarrassed to ask.
    Indeed, I don't think a tutor is the way to go here. My wife has some mates with children just into uni she is going to ask, see if if helps. It's good as these are people she knows, but he doesn't, which I think makes it easier! 
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    sew_what said:
    Revision guides would be a good place to start - make sure you've got got the right board & specification.  You should be able to get the information from his school's website or exam timetable. Past papers are available online from the exam board.
    Yeah I looked through the past papers last night for one board, my wife and I will look over then today and see how we think we can help. 

I think us doing that, possibly a sixth former or uni student helping, and a dangle of further monetary incentives are our multi pronged best attack here! 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    Has he been checked out for dyslexia or similar? It might be worth trying to speak to the Senco at school.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback