PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing spices in bulk? I.e putting them in containers, on shelves etc?

Options
dekaspace1
dekaspace1 Posts: 403 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 5 April at 10:16AM in Old style MoneySaving
I bulk buy spices from Asian supermarkets as they are cheaper than regular supermarkets often by a long shot but often means I may have 2/3kg bags of each item and means I have 1 cupboard in my kitchen that is purely for spices, stock cubes, and tea/coffee and I have 4 more cupboards in the kitchen but they are all cluttered i.e just a free for all.

I really want to organise this and I know people used to have spice racks.

I was thinking of getting large containers, labelling them and putting up a shelf to put them on just worried even in containers they won't be as dry

And to save space maybe smaller containers so I can easily fit all the spices onto 1 shelf without having stacks of containers on top of each other. then taping whats left in the packets and putting them into my under counter cupboard where I currently store pasta and potatoes and just take out when needed

My sideboards are already packed with electrical devices so the wall is only real space I can store things..

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I was thinking of getting large containers, labelling them and putting up a shelf to put them on just worried even in containers they won't be as dry.
    Could you put the bags they're already in inside such containers?
    They'd need to be airtight so should stay dry anyway (or put some silica gel packets in it you need to make extra sure) and ideally protected from light, so either inside a dark opaque bag or lining the containers with dark tissue or plastic.

Or decanting a little at a time into smaller containers kept in a spice rack as you mention for ease of use, but also still keeping the large bags of an airtight container would be good for keeping them fresh.
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    I buy them in the larger bags (think they’re 50g although it may vary slightly). Any bigger than that and I think the cost saving is going to be offset by your spices going off, unless you use a lot more spices than me. I just keep mine in a collapsible plastic crate in a cupboard.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    OP
    I'd put this thread on the Old Style board.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 968 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've moved this to the Old Style board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bulk buy spices from Asian supermarkets as they are cheaper than regular supermarkets often by a long shot but often means I may have 2/3kg bags of each item and means I have 1 cupboard in my kitchen that is purely for spices, stock cubes, and tea/coffee and I have 4 more cupboards in the kitchen but they are all cluttered i.e just a free for all.

I was thinking of getting large containers, labelling them and putting up a shelf to put them on just worried even in containers they won't be as dry

And to save space maybe smaller containers so I can easily fit all the spices onto 1 shelf without having stacks of containers on top of each other. then taping whats left in the packets and putting them into my under counter cupboard where I currently store pasta and potatoes and just take out when needed

My sideboards are already packed with electrical devices so the wall is only real space I can store things..

A few things to consider:-
    1. Containers need to be airtight or the spices’ volatile oils, which deliver the taste, will evaporate.
    2. Spices have to be stored in the dark or they will be tasteless dust. Light causes the volatile oils in spices to degrade.
    3. Just because you don’t have a drawer for your spice jars, doesn’t mean you can’t put them in a cardboard tray, pop it into a cupboard and use that like a drawer to access the ones at the back.
    Having said the above, I buy my spices in 500g bags from the local Asian supermarket and they last for years, if not decades.  They’re stored in large Douwe Egbert jars, in a drawer in my pantry.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • dekaspace1
    Options

A few things to consider:-
    1. Containers need to be airtight or the spices’ volatile oils, which deliver the taste, will evaporate.
    2. Spices have to be stored in the dark or they will be tasteless dust. Light causes the volatile oils in spices to degrade.
    3. Just because you don’t have a drawer for your spice jars, doesn’t mean you can’t put them in a cardboard tray, pop it into a cupboard and use that like a drawer to access the ones at the back.
    Having said the above, I buy my spices in 500g bags from the local Asian supermarket and they last for years, if not decades.  They’re stored in large Douwe Egbert jars, in a drawer in my pantry.

- Pip

My reasoning is I currently have cluttered cupboards and everything is just thrown in so I could have tins in one cupboard, then in front of those a few packs of biscuits, next to that like a pile of powdered items like desserts, packet soups etc.

I want to be able to have things in neatly and spices can be kept in containers so wanted to not have clutter.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It sounds like you need to organise all of your cupboards, not just your spices.
  • dekaspace1
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    It sounds like you need to organise all of your cupboards, not just your spices.

Thats the problem, theres only so much room hence why I put things in the way I do.

Unless theres another way to seperate items without using a lot of different sized containers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback