Faulty carpet fitting

Options
Pay weekly flooring installed my carpet after a couple of times cancelling. The installer came knowing there was a join but didn’t have the equipment to do it and said he’d come back next week (this is beginning of Jan) he has cancelled numerous times since (around 7 times, incl me not chasing for a month as I was sick of the excuses and nonsense!) He was again supposed to come along today and is now unwell (not surprised) and apparently will return Sunday (yes Easter Sunday). I’ve spoke to the company and said that this is crap and he’s clearly not coming back. I am waiting (supposedly) for a manager to call me back as I’ve asked to speak to someone who can sort this mess out. 

What I need help with is what I can do without getting myself into hot water. I’m still paying monthly for the carpet, can I hold my payments  until they fix the problem? 

This has gone on for two months now and we’ve still got a carpet we cannot properly use as the bottom step was not installed properly and is now lifting and fraying. Is there a get out for them as a company as they are using self employed fitters? 

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have two contracts, one for purchase (on some sort of instalment plan) and one with the fitter?  If so, how is the fitter to be paid?

Absolutely do not default on payments. It could simply cause more problems and depending on the precise circumstances, may not be merited.
  • sallie2980
    sallie2980 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have two contracts, one for purchase (on some sort of instalment plan) and one with the fitter?  If so, how is the fitter to be paid?

Absolutely do not default on payments. It could simply cause more problems and depending on the precise circumstances, may not be merited.
    Yes so the company PWF contract the fitting out to carpet fitters and he is a sub contractor so presumably self employed. He was paid cash (and yes I’ve realised that I perhaps shouldn’t have paid in full until job was complete but don’t fancy having an argument about this with a 20 stone man when I’m home alone if that makes sense)
  • sallie2980
    Options
    But it wasn’t two contacts though the contract is with pay weekly flooring  
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this a regulated credit agreement with a finance company?  If so, contact the finance company and ask them why you are paying for a contract that hasn't been completed.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    edited 29 March at 1:20PM
    Options
    This is off the back of this thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6462904/faulty-carpet-fitting/p1

Seems that Snap Finance Ltd act as the lender. authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm reference number 730821

So that is where OP needs to be going to claim under S75.
    Life in the slow lane
  • sallie2980
    Options

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6462904/faulty-carpet-fitting/p1

Seems that Snap Finance Ltd act as the lender. authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm reference number 730821

Thank you what is OP? So you suggest contacting snap or threatening them (pwf) that I will within a timescale if they do not complete the installation 
    what is a section 75 sorry 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    Options

Thank you what is OP? So you suggest contacting snap or threatening them (pwf) that I will within a timescale if they do not complete the installation 
    what is a section 75 sorry 
    OP, Original Poster

No need to threaten anyone, just contact them explaining the situation, reminding them of S75

S75 holds the lender jointly and severally liable for breach of contract or misrepresentation.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

Life in the slow lane
  • sallie2980
    Options

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Ectophile said:
    Is this a regulated credit agreement with a finance company?  If so, contact the finance company and ask them why you are paying for a contract that hasn't been completed.

Thank you for commenting 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure