Offer on house and future mortgage rates

Options
My current one went upto £412 but I offered on a house so it may rise to £830. That’s a large jump but bigger house but my thinking is take a two year deal pay £40 a month more as that could drop to £650 by say 2 years time. Is that a good idea? I usually take a 5 year deal but I feel they say 5 rate drops possible is that a good guess on what it may drop to?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's always the risk that mortgage rates might rise. Who knows what the future might hold. 
  • gadget88
    gadget88 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    There's always the risk that mortgage rates might rise. Who knows what the future might hold. 
    So a 5 year deal is better than a 2? I would be surprised if they rise
  • Beeboo23
    Beeboo23 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally my preference is 5 if it’s affordable because then you know exactly where you stand for the next 5 years. I wouldn’t lose sleep over mortgage rates going a percentage up or down after you’ve fixed. I fixed for 2.7 in 2020 which seemed high to me compared to my friends who were getting <2. Now it seems low compared to my friends who are getting 4-5. It’s all swings and roundabouts. That being said only you can say which is best for you. If you’re planning to move in the next couple of years maybe 2 is best. It’s a personal choice. 
    Debt free October 2020 🎉

FTB 12 2020 🥳

Life happens fund £10000/£10000 filled 11/22

Investing towards my first 10k (done Jan 24)

now working towards first 25k
    10,300/25,000
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    gadget88 said:
    Hoenir said:
    So a 5 year deal is better than a 2? I would be surprised if they rise
     Many were surprised by the latest series of rises, I wouldn`t try to play the bond market at this stage to be honest, safer to fix and know how much your monthly payments will be.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback