PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor paid mess way less than expected after house sale

Options
Hello guys,

my solicitor paid me way less than expected after my house sale.

today I completed on the sale of my shared ownership property and my solicitor sent my pay it straight away and it’s WAY less than it should be.

I was supposed to receive around 10k and I received around 2k. This is absolutely crazy and I’m confused why this would be?

The annoying thing is the solicitors office is closed now and it’s a long Easter holiday so i won’t find out for a while. This anxiety is killing me.

Has anyone had a similar suituation to this? Please let me know.

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 9:09PM
    Options
    Impossible to comment without sight of anything. Your solicitor's office needs to prepare the completion statement which will detail everything. 
  • poohjj
    poohjj Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Hoenir fair enough I understand. Just so confused why it’s so low. It’s really bugging me.

thanks for your help

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The usual chunky "surprise" thing would be an early redemption penalty on your mortgage - have you seen a redemption statement for your mortgage and was that the amount you expected to repay?
  • poohjj
    Options
    @user1977 thanks for the reply. I was actually out of the fixed term contract. I have the redemption statement from mortgage. I subtracted the redemption of the outstanding mortgage and the price of the house then subtracted the solicitors fees and I wa supposed to receive around 10k. I received 2k and I’m so confused.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    I have no ideahow we can be expected to comment constructively without seeing the Completion Statement and being made aware of all the pertinant  facts.
    All we can do is suggest that as soon as the solicitor opens you contact them for an explanation.
  • poohjj
    Options
    @propertyrental thanks for your reply. The point of the post was to see if it happened to anyone else 
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    Options
    poohjj said:
    @user1977 thanks for the reply. I was actually out of the fixed term contract. I have the redemption statement from mortgage. I subtracted the redemption of the outstanding mortgage and the price of the house then subtracted the solicitors fees and I wa supposed to receive around 10k. I received 2k and I’m so confused.

A couple of other possibilities...
    • Estate Agents fees
    • Fees owing to your Housing Association / Management Company / Freeholder (e.g. Service Charges, Management pack fees, unpaid rent, etc)

• poohjj
    Options
    Hello @eddy thanks for replying.

does this happen? I assumed the housing association would have contacted me about outstanding service charge or rent before completion? Have you seen this happen before?

Thanks,
    Samuel
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When was the redemption statement for the mortgage account dated. Did it include interest for the month of March up until today? 
  • poohjj
    Options
    eddddy said:
    poohjj said:

A couple of other possibilities...
    • Estate Agents fees
    • Fees owing to your Housing Association / Management Company / Freeholder (e.g. Service Charges, Management pack fees, unpaid rent, etc)
    I always assumed the rent had to be paid up to date before you could complete?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback