PIP - Blue Badge

Options
My BB is due to expire in 4 months, and so I need to renew it. I am currently going through the PIP reassessment process, this started in November, but heard nothing more as of yet, I am aware these things can take a long time.

How can I renew my BB as my original PIP letter has an expiry date of July 2024, can the DWP provide me with a letter saying I am currently being reassessed.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My BB is due to expire in 4 months, and so I need to renew it. I am currently going through the PIP reassessment process, this started in November, but heard nothing more as of yet, I am aware these things can take a long time.

How can I renew my BB as my original PIP letter has an expiry date of July 2024, can the DWP provide me with a letter saying I am currently being reassessed.
    Do you know if your award has been extended?  (You can ask on the PIP helpline.)  If so, they should be able to send out a letter saying the new date.

[Incidentally mine has 6 months left and my review paperwork was sent back in Feb, and as of then the award hadn't been extended, so I may well find myself in a similar situation as you soon.]
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,966 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also going through my review and returned the forms at the start of December. Mine is due to end at the end of June. No decision yet and no letter saying award has been extended. My BB also expires the same time as my PIP. 

If I don't hear anything by May then I shall ring PIP to ask them to send me a letter, as I would expect it to have been extended by then, if no decision is made. 
  • Little_miss_dfw
    Little_miss_dfw Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My husbands badge was due to be renewed in December but his PIP award is due for renewal this October. Due to this my council contacted him and said either they can renew his badge to the date his PIP is due to be renewed, so a 10 month date, or he could answer a few questions and they can see if he would be entitled to a badge anyway without his PIP award. He answers the questions and was awarded the badge for a few years

Might be worth asking your council if you can apply for the badge without a PIP award 
    “I knew who i was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then” 
    lewis caroll

”there’s a story at the bottom of this bottle and I’m the pen”
    ATL
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March at 10:41PM
    Options
    If they don't take a decision with 35 days to go of existing award they should extend it and most likely a year. (This was a forced protocol precisely because of the delays in reviews and knock on impact to things like Blue Badge and Bus Passes for disabled people). How the council will deal with that extension may vary - mine saw the extension letter of a year (which you should get supplied) and simply said 'we assume you'll be awarded PIP again for 3 years and so issue your blue badge for 3 years but let us know if awarded for less when decision taken and we will replace the Blue Badge'. 

The review decision when taken will replace the extension.

So personally I would wait until around 3.5 to 4 weeks of award left... if no PIP review decision has been taken and no letter of extension received then call PIP. I would imagine as minimum they should confirm a letter of extension is in the post... the text of which likely similar to mine

"Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Purplefoxlass
    Purplefoxlass Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My husbands badge was due to be renewed in December but his PIP award is due for renewal this October. Due to this my council contacted him and said either they can renew his badge to the date his PIP is due to be renewed, so a 10 month date, or he could answer a few questions and they can see if he would be entitled to a badge anyway without his PIP award. He answers the questions and was awarded the badge for a few years

Might be worth asking your council if you can apply for the badge without a PIP award 
    Prior to this BB, that’s how I got my last one, so that’s probably the route I will take, I’d forgotten about it until you mentioned it, thanks.
  • Purplefoxlass
    First Post
    Options

Do you know if your award has been extended?  (You can ask on the PIP helpline.)  If so, they should be able to send out a letter saying the new date.

[Incidentally mine has 6 months left and my review paperwork was sent back in Feb, and as of then the award hadn't been extended, so I may well find myself in a similar situation as you soon.]
    I have no idea if it’s been extended, just had the SMS that the form received and a recent update saying it was still be processed or something along that line. I will contact the DWP next week when they are back open to ask. My council is saying it’s about a 10 week wait for a badge.
  • Purplefoxlass
    First Post
    Options

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March at 7:15PM
    Options

I have no idea if it’s been extended, just had the SMS that the form received and a recent update saying it was still be processed or something along that line. I will contact the DWP next week when they are back open to ask. My council is saying it’s about a 10 week wait for a badge.
    Ouch... 10 weeks sounds unacceptably long... the government website suggests more like 10 days.... I received mine in 4 working days but obviously council to council who knows.

I very much doubt the PIP award has been extended yet as it is likely to be around 35 days before award ends... I understand it automatically happens with letter generated.

If there is an alternative way to qualify for the BB as seems may have applied before then if you are time concerned then it might be worth exploring.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    Options
    Council should just renew it. Ours did, but then Mrs had already got BB via council assessment before PIP got their fingers out.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure