Octopus Direct Debit still £76p/m - hasn't changed since Avro collapse Sep 2021

Options
ok_cub2008
ok_cub2008 Posts: 10 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello,

At the point of Avro collapsing and my gas/elec account automatically switching to Octopus, the £76 per month direct debit I was paying immediately before the switch is still being taken by Octopus and hasn't changed since.

The debt I owe to Octopus on my account has recently exceeded £2,200, and yet still no change to my direct debit.

Fortunately I'm a devout disciple of the great Mr Lewis, so I've been fully aware of the situation as this debt has continued to grow, accruing an amount in my monthly personal balance sheet based on actual usage.

It's effectively an interest free loan that I'm more than happy to take advantage of, although I do need to consider whether there are any potential savings on fixed tariffs that would exceed the benefit of the c.£110 per year interest I'm currently earning on the balance (I'm thinking that switching tariff, even within Octopus, would rock the boat and cause repayment to be demanded).

ANYWAY, I've searched this forum and Google and I can't seem to find any similar stories, which feels rather odd to me as I was expecting this to be a systemic issue with migrated Avro customers, and seems unlikely that I'd be the only one affected. Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

On a slightly cynical note, putting myself in the shoes of someone for whom this large growing balance is a sudden shock, do you think there would be any basis to expect a partial waiver of the debt given that Octopus have failed to increase the direct debit for 2.5 years now?

I know there is a 1 year limit (correct me if I'm wrong) on energy companies billing for usage, but they have been billing me on time every month (albeit inaccurately, again in my favour, but that's another story), it's just they've failed to adjust the direct debit accordingly to recoup the billed amounts.

Thanks

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can easily change your DD amount with Octopus. Why haven't you?
  • ok_cub2008
    Options
    You can easily change your DD amount with Octopus. Why haven't you?
    Please read the post. Why would I change my direct debit when they're giving me an interest free loan?

It's on them to change the direct debit automatically.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the debt based on actual readings, or an estimate? Do you have a working smart meter or did you submit regular manual readings?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

On a slightly cynical note, putting myself in the shoes of someone for whom this large growing balance is a sudden shock, do you think there would be any basis to expect a partial waiver of the debt given that Octopus have failed to increase the direct debit for 2.5 years now?

Why a shock. The bills you've been receiving do say estimated readings.  There's no free lunches in this world. Someone's gain is always at someone elses expense.  
  • ok_cub2008
    Options
    Hoenir said:

Why a shock. The bills you've been receiving do say estimated readings.  There's no free lunches in this world. Someone's gain is always at someone elses expense.  
    Can't tell if you're trying to troll me or not 😅. The bills are based on ACTUAL readings. The issue is not with the bills, it's with them not adjusting the direct debit, which is extremely odd wouldn't you say.

Please re-read my original post before replying.
  • ok_cub2008
    Options
    Is the debt based on actual readings, or an estimate? Do you have a working smart meter or did you submit regular manual readings?
    Based on actual smart meter readings (albeit a "Rate01" reading which excludes night time electricity usage, which I tried desperately to explain in a 20 email long chain 2 years ago with their customer service before giving up and accepting them under-billing me).
  • ok_cub2008
    Options
    Hoenir said:

Sorry, just coming back on the "why a shock" question. As I made clear, I'm not talking about this being a shock for me, I'm talking about the case where this happens to someone financially illiterate, who rely on Octopus to adjust their direct debit appropriately.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback