Gate bolt and wall

Options
We've got a gate bolt that previously slotted into a hole drilled in the wall of the house. Over the years this has made a bigger hole due to wind etc, and has now broken out. 

Any hints on the best way to fix? I had though about embedding a nut in the wall big enough to take the bolt, and then 'repair' the wall around the nut, hoping it holds. I also can't find anything suitable to screw into the wall which would provide a hole, but could make one I guess. 

Any clever ideas? 

Comments

• chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Drill a deep hole and insert a pipe then make the wall good with mortar etc.
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suppose you could get a bit of tubing slightly bigger than the bolt  ,drill the wall deeper and cement in the tube ,make good the rest of the wall when finished.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    See if a Metpro 50mm standoff bracket from CEF would do, might have to drill out the slot to size of bolt,but at £1.12 worth a go.
  • Spinybif
    Spinybif Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Resin fixings are ideal for a job like this, you get some of the resin in a plastic container exactly like those which contain silicone or No More Nails except that inside the container are two substances which mix when squirted from your sealant gun down the special nozzle. This video explains it all very well 

https://youtu.be/Wl0QhjtPtdM?si=K_M9Q8XFoK1Gm6oa
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure