Severe disability

Options
Both my severe disability and pension credit have been stopped because I have a carer. I am at a loss of £600. My carer only gets £ 185 monthly. This can not be right but I rang both offices and they said it was. I can not  afford this  so will have to live without my carer.
After brain surgery and numerous falls I do not think I will get out much. Is this correct information?

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • superM
    superM Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    severe disability should stop because of carer element. So you are not getting anything from pension credit?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pension Credit stopping could also affect any Housing Benefit and council tax reduction you maybe claiming too. This is why before anyone claims either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after someone, they should get expert advice or check to see what benefits the person they are caring for is claiming. 
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 9:29PM
    Options
    Yes it's correct that you lose sdp. What you lose in sdp is the same as what the carer gets for claiming carers allowance. Not sure how you are £600 down when you are only losing the sdp , unless as Poppy says it is affecting housing benefit and council tax reduction too. You should only lose the sdp on your pension credit claim, nothing else.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback