Prepayment meter

Options
zola2
zola2 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi please can anyone help. 
I moved out of my old address in March 2022 which I used a prepayment meter.
The company is Scottish Power and I continued with them at my new address which is a normal meter. 
After 9 months of living at my new address they decided to tell me I owe £400 in gas and after numerous conversations I still don’t understand why. 
I have been paying regular every month for my electric and gas by direct debit at my new address and my account was in -£90 last month but suddenly this month on the Scottish Power app I am in -£2319.000 even though I have given meter readings and I know I don’t owe this money I am devastated 

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What you pay a fixed amount per month is to cover your estimated usage for the type of property, its heating and the number of occupants.

If your actual use is above that you will fall into arrears and then, as you have found, be presented with a large bill.

You need to go back to the opening readings, work out how much energy in kWh you have used in total and what it has actually cost, then deduct what you have paid and see what the difference is.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March at 10:46PM
    Options
    If you can provide the opening readings from when you moved in, and your current readings now, a note of where in the country you are (so we can work out which region you are in) plus a note of what you have paid during that time then someone will be able to  calculate whether it looks like their demand for that sum reasonable or not. On the other hand - you say you’ve been submitting readings so you may already have done the maths yourself - if you are confident that their demand is incorrect, then call them with your calculations and challenge what they are asking for.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's worth doing some checks:
    • The bill will have the meter serial number on it.  Go and look at the meter and check the serial numbers match.
    • The bill will say if the meter is measuring in cubic feet (ft³) or cubic metres (m³).  Look at the meter and check it says the same.
    • Check the meter reading on the bill is consistent with the actual reading on the meter. Make sure you ignore any figures after the decimal point (they are in red on older meters).
    • Turn off all gas appliances for as long as you can without freezing.  Check that the meter doesn't go up.  If it does, then you either have a faulty meter or a gas leak.  You can check which it is by turning off the big gas valve next to the meter.

If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you register with the existing supplier(s) when you took possession of the new property?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback