Best way to keep accounts and budget for community group

Options
I’ve worked for myself and done my own accounts in the past, but I am finding myself a bit confused about how to get started having volunteered to be treasurer for a local not for profit community group.
I need to track income and expenditure, but also planned expenditure and expenses payments to members of the committee. 
Does this work with any old small business accounting software or app? I used waveapps years ago which was free and found it worked beautifully but don’t know if time have changed so would really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably this isn't a brand new charity so what did the former treasurer use? Any reason for not just taking over their tools?
  • JenniWren10
    Options
    You presume wrong, unfortunately. Brand new. And a small community organisation rather than a charity. 
  • jennimoo
    jennimoo Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March at 8:08PM
    Options
    (Sorry for namechange - managed to get logged back into old account at last…)
    Does anyone run anywhere with similar finances? Or have a suggestion how I apply the situation to the normal accounting? An expense claim coming in - could that be via a purchase order or something?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it. Just use excel or whatever software you would normally use for tracking the income and expenditure and then make sure it tallies with the bank account for each month or quarter or whenever your committee meetings are.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've done this with Excel. Previous treasurer had a traditional multi-columned account book ...

So main sheet: columns for date, statement ref, which account, what, why, in, out, balance 

Linked to a statement sheet which instantly told me what cash I had where

And a why sheet which allowed me to see how much the Christmas lunch cost, or the Spring event, or subs or whatever.

And so on.

All linked by VLookup formulae.

I just filled in the main sheet. Provided I was consistent in my descriptions,the rest happened by magic.

But your old package will work too, if still available. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am treasurer of my local cricket. All done on a spreadsheet 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts