Car insurance and ability to drive other cars

Options
Hi , does anyone know if your job can change your ability to drive other vehicles with Tp cover . 
I got insured last year , and the drive other cars on my certificate said not available . 
I did need to send of proof of no claims etc so I’m curious if this (isnt available until after them documents are sent)

I changed my job in January and updated my car insurance about this
 ( my Insurance is not needed for my job) 
my new document since my job update says driving other cars is included.
is this something that can change throughout my 1 policy I’ve called my insurances numerous times and get different answers .
some say this has been from the start others say the 1st doc could be a technical issue others saying the job change has changed it.

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This is really confusing post, if you've had first party insurance you'll have built up no claims, you can't gain no claims from driving other cars on third party...

Your own insurance policy is what typically allows you to drive other peoples cars under third party, but those cars must also have insurance of their own.
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • sca90
    sca90 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    the proof of no claims part is in just unsure if once the paper work is sent if they update the ability to drive other cars or not . 
    As I would assume it would say not included rather than not available ? 
    The main thing I’m needing to know is can your job change your ability to drive other cars, or not because surely if I went back to my old job they wouldn’t then take this off ? 

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Normally DOC is based on fundamentally if the product offers it or not and secondly how old the policyholder is. 

Ultimately however there aren't laws/regulations around these things and insurers are free to introduce whatever rules they wish. I doubt anyone would link it to proof of NCD as that is just extra work and many insurers check NCD electronically now. I've not heard of it being linked to job title but its more plausible than NCD... I can see why they'd not want to cover people who are a valet for example 
  • sca90
    sca90 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I’ve also never heard of it being job based before as when I changed my job this information was not given to me as an updated change when the insurers give your their speech’s etc I’ve only noticed it since 
    I was using a family members car prior to me changing my job whom told me I was a named driver on their policy and was pulled over. Obviously I didn’t think it was an issue ( I new my policy said not available when I got my certificate but hadn’t checked it since ) told the officers there’s documents at home I can produce which says I’m able to drive they issued a fine/ points but said if I take papers the station etc it can be resolved but anyway turns out my family member was looking at their previous policy document and I wasn’t insured after all on their current.
    so after now noticing my own personal policy says I can drive other cars I need to see when this became applicable and the insurers can’t give me consistent information regarding this  
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It doesn't 'become available' your terms are laid out at the start of the policy, as long as your policy predates the alleged offense then take your policy to the police station and they will likely stop the points/fine.

You're overthinking this. 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • XRS200
    XRS200 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Your certificate of insurance will specify the dates of cover and the cover provided.
  • Smithcom
    Smithcom Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sca90 said:
    Hi , does anyone know if your job can change your ability to drive other vehicles with Tp cover . 
    I got insured last year , and the drive other cars on my certificate said not available . 
    I did need to send of proof of no claims etc so I’m curious if this (isnt available until after them documents are sent)

I changed my job in January and updated my car insurance about this
     ( my Insurance is not needed for my job) 
    my new document since my job update says driving other cars is included.
    is this something that can change throughout my 1 policy I’ve called my insurances numerous times and get different answers .
    some say this has been from the start others say the 1st doc could be a technical issue others saying the job change has changed it.

Some insurers will not provide Driving Other Cars/Vehicle Extension, if a policyholder was employed in the Motor Trade for example.

As has been suggested, it's mainly age-related or insurer simply providing the cover (or not)-related, however, in my experience, there are some occupations that can also affect this.

SC 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure