Someone ran into me in the car park - do I need to declare it on my insurance?

Options
blizeH
blizeH Posts: 1,363 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 March at 3:58PM in Motoring
Hi, I’m seeing mixed things about this. Someone ran into my car whilst the car was unoccupied - they took full responsibility and everything went through their insurance.

Do I have to press Yes on this? It puts my quote up by around £300. My friend is insistent that since I didn’t make a claim I don’t need to declare it but I don’t think that’s right? Thank you

Edit: it literally says “no matter who is at fault” so I’m 99.99% sure he’s wrong 😂 but it does seem a bit harsh that it’s increased my insurance by so much. An extra £200 on my wife’s car too

Comments

• blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, you have to declare it - unfair as that may seen, someone having run into you means someone is more likely to run into you again in future. Not declaring it could invalidate your insurance, and your insurance company may well find out about that since insurers share claim details.
    Thank you! Thought as much but nice to have confirmation
  • Beeboo23
    Beeboo23 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When you put the quote through maybe ask the insurers you decide to go with directly as well. My friend works in insurance and she said  there are some that won’t penalise your for a no fault accident. 
    Debt free October 2020 🎉

FTB 12 2020 🥳

Life happens fund £10000/£10000 filled 11/22

Investing towards my first 10k (done Jan 24)

now working towards first 25k
    10,300/25,000
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    OP you will find insurance going up a lot anyway at the moment.  The fact the other party put it through their insurance means it will no doubt be on the system.  Best declare it.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you do not declare it and your insurance company find out you might find that you cannot get insurance in the future ,not worth the risk.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you need to declare it... many people "forget" to mention it if they also "forgot" to tell their own insurers but its a dangerous game to play if you claimed from the third party's insurer as it will be recorded and probably in CUE etc. 

We see periodic posts on here when people say they "forgot" and the new insurer has now voided their policy for false declaration... a few of them have been caught at the point of a fault claim so have had to payout thousands to the third party and ended up with no insurance on their own vehicle. 
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    blizeH said:

Do I have to press Yes on this? It puts my quote up by around £300. My friend is insistent that since I didn’t make a claim I don’t need to declare it but I don’t think that’s right? Thank you

Edit: it literally says “no matter who is at fault” so I’m 99.99% sure he’s wrong 😂 but it does seem a bit harsh that it’s increased my insurance by so much. An extra £200 on my wife’s car too

You should be able to add the increased premium costs onto your claim against the other parties insurance company.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you aren't prepared to answer such an explicit question honestly. Then the insurer will obviously question your integrity.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback