Skipton international

Options
Does anyone know a anything about skipton international building society.
Are they a good place to save 
20p savers club 2013#23 83.00 (2014 numer 6,70.00 pounds) 2036SPC No 6(2013) 182.34
2.00 savers club no 159
SPC No 7 2036(2014) 369.[2[ SPC No 8 197.45 (no 114)

Comments

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think there’s two separate organisations: Skipton building society, which has decent rates, the usual protection for savings, actual in person branches etc. I have an account with them and haven’t had any issues. And then there’s Skipton International which is an offshore bank with all the risks and benefits that brings
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think there’s two separate organisations: Skipton building society, which has decent rates, the usual protection for savings, actual in person branches etc. I have an account with them and haven’t had any issues. And then there’s Skipton International which is an offshore bank with all the risks and benefits that brings
    Such as deposit protection only being available from a tiny territory's scheme:

Skipton International Limited (Skipton), registered in Guernsey: 30112, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Skipton Building Society. Skipton is licensed under the Banking Supervision (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2020, as amended. All agreements with Skipton are completed in Guernsey and governed by Guernsey law. Skipton is a participant in the Guernsey Banking Deposit Compensation Scheme. The Scheme offers protection for 'qualifying deposits' up to £50,000, subject to limitations. 

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    3431Anna said:
    You would not normally have an offshore account unless you had a specific reason to have one.
    Offshore savings accounts: should you get one? - Which?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    3431Anna said:
    They are for ex-pats (or others) who want to hold GBP but cannot have a UK account because they aren't resident in the UK. 

You dont get the protection of the Financial Ombudsman of the FSCS because they aren't UK based but instead the much smaller channel island equivalent. Likewise their regulation is lighter based no their jurisdiction. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback