Flame on living flame gas fire not lighting quickly

Options
I've a 10yo Valor coal effect living flame gas fire where I have to turn a knob to create the spark. The spark still sparks and I can hear the gas coming through but for the past week or so I've had to turn the knob 10+ times before the spark lights the flame, sometimes it's been so many times I've almost given up. At least it has eventually lit but is this a sign that something's on it's way out? I don't want to be left with no heating then have a crisis of trying to call someone out. I suppose I could light the flame manually if I had to but obviously it's a lot more convenient if it lit first time and I could plan any work that was needed.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When was it last serviced?

Might be time to get one. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe there is dust in the pilot light outlet. These fires usually need a good regular clean out . Take all the coals out ( if you can ) and give it a vacuum, especially around the pilot light . Try and light the pilot light with no coals around so you can see better what is actually happening.

I don't want to be left with no heating then have a crisis of trying to call someone out. 

It is unusual to be so reliant on these types of fire. They are not really designed to be the main source of heat, as they are not very efficient. Usually used as a nice looking top up to the main central heating.
  • nofoollikeold
    nofoollikeold Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are going to take the coals out make a diagram of how they are placed, It is important for your safety that they are replaced as stated by the manufacturer's instructions.  
  • Albermarle
    Options
    If you are going to take the coals out make a diagram of how they are placed, It is important for your safety that they are replaced as stated by the manufacturer's instructions.  
    It is a good point. When I take mine out, I still have the diagram that came with the original instructions.
    I was not aware it was a safety issue though, I thought it was  more about improving the efficiency/gas flow  and the look.
  • nofoollikeold
    nofoollikeold Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the "coals" are misplaced it can lead to incomplete combustion and the production of excess Carbon Monoxide.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March at 11:17PM
    Options
    It was serviced about 3 yrs ago but tbh all he seemed to do was hoover up any dust and spray some blackener on the 'coals'. I've brushed around the pilot light and hoovered up all the dust and replaced everything correctly (I still have the manual). It lit at the 2nd attempt tonight so fingers crossed.

BTW Modern living flame fires are pretty efficient, I never have to turn mine to full to heat the room up and my energy costs are £63 pcm under the current! price cap
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,859 Forumite
    Options
    Can you clearly view the spark? Is it consistent - a strong spark each time? Where - exactly - does it land on the pilot's nozzle?
  • Albermarle
    Options
    kuepper said:
    It was serviced about 3 yrs ago but tbh all he seemed to do was hoover up any dust and spray some blackener on the 'coals'. I've brushed around the pilot light and hoovered up all the dust and replaced everything correctly (I still have the manual). It lit at the 2nd attempt tonight so fingers crossed.

BTW Modern living flame fires are pretty efficient, I never have to turn mine to full to heat the room up and my energy costs are £63 pcm under the current! price cap
    Assuming it is in a conventional fireplace, heat is obviously lost up the chimney. The manufacturers only claim 55% efficiency. Flueless ones are more efficient but more expensive, and have to be on an outside wall.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kuepper said:

Assuming it is in a conventional fireplace, heat is obviously lost up the chimney. The manufacturers only claim 55% efficiency. Flueless ones are more efficient but more expensive, and have to be on an outside wall.

The modern glass fronted ones are claimed to be 85% https://www.valor.co.uk/product/full-depth-high-efficiency-dream

• Albermarle
    Options
    kuepper said:
    kuepper said:

The modern glass fronted ones are claimed to be 85% https://www.valor.co.uk/product/full-depth-high-efficiency-dream

Interesting. 
    Although I can not work out why a glass front helps, when most of the heat loss will be up the chimney.
    Clever !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure