SORN car while insurance settlement drags on?

Options
beandog
beandog Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
 I can’t find the answer to this question anywhere so I’ve turned to you lovely people for advice.
My car was written off in an accident that wasn’t my fault. The insurers towed it to their place where it (presumably) remains.
They’ve written it off and have made what I consider an really inadequate settlement offer. I’ve negotiated with them for nearly a month and it looks like they are not going any higher.
I’m thinking it might be worth taking it to the Financial Ombudsman, I don’t mind waiting a while if it means getting sensibly reimbursed.
My problem is this: both the tax and insurance expire at the end of this month, and as I’m still the legal owner surely I will be liable for renewal unless I either:
1. Transfer ownship of car to the insurers (when I will have no recourse to further negotiation or to the Financial Ombudsman);
2. SORN the vehicle for such time as the settlement is finalised.
Is it a good idea though to SORN the vehicle while it is in the possession of the insurers or their agent? 
Or should I just take their crappy lowball offer and have done with it?
Thanks for all advice.

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1. Ownership has no connection to tax or insurance. 

2. Sounds like a good idea, but tell the insurers (in writing) so that they don't try to drive it or park it on the road.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    2. Sounds like a good idea, but tell the insurers (in writing) so that they don't try to drive it or park it on the road.
    It's not going to be held by the insurer themselves but by a recovery agent or copart etc. You simply cannot guarantee that no one won't move the car into a public space and it's the registered keeper that is liable for the breach of the SORN. 

Operationally these can be small spaces and its necessary to move vehicles around to get the finalised ones out etc some may be able to do it within their space but certainly some will temporarily use the road to create swing space. Obviously somewhat depends on what level of total loss it is... a burnt out wreck with no wheels, engine etc then you are fairly sure its stationary, a good runner with just cosmetic damage then thats the key contender to create a space if needed.
  • beandog
    beandog Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Car_54 said:

Thanks. I don't understand your first point though, surely until I transfer ownership I am still liable for the tax and insurance?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    beandog said:
    Car_54 said:

Thanks. I don't understand your first point though, surely until I transfer ownership I am still liable for the tax and insurance?
    Tax and insurance are the responsibility of the registered keeper, not the owner.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback