Carer's Allowance claim I didn't report a change

Options
Hello,

I telephoned Carer's Allowance on the 22/02/2024 to inform them that I had been offered a zero-hour job and that I had accepted it. I then asked what my earning limits would be while claiming Carer's Allowance, and I was told that I could earn £139 a week or £602.33 a month if paid monthly. I explained that my first shift would commence on the 24/02/2024 and that I wouldn't receive my first payslip or pay until the last day of March. I explained that I would be paid monthly and that I wouldn't exceed the £602.33. I was then told that I needed to phone back once I received my first payslip and that I needed to report my earnings to them every month. As long as I was under the £602.33, all would be OK!

Well, I received my pay today (£131.28). I telephoned as instructed to report my earnings and the guy told me that they had no record of me working and that I should have reported it. I explained that I had called on 22/02/2024 and was given the above advice. He said this was incorrect and that a form should have been completed and passed to a decision maker. So, I just did this with him and at the end he asked me why I hadn't reported the change and I replied I had and that I had and had proof of the call! Thank goodness my phone provider lists all inbound and outbound calls, including calls to and from 0800 numbers, otherwise I would be screwed! 

So, my question is this, what happens now? Are they likely to penalise me? I offered to provide a copy of my bill in printed or PDF form showing the original call, but he seemed uninterested in this. This gentleman also told me that I don't need to report my earnings every month as long as they do not exceed the limits mentioned above. Is this correct?

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you are under the earnings limit (which increases to £151 in Tax Year 24/25) there will be no penalty or cessation of your CA. 

It is correct that you only need to report if over the earnings limit as this will end any CA for that period.

It is pointless the call handler passing your case to a decision maker. But given that, I'd be inclined to request a Subject Access Report from the CA unit, which should confirm your earlier call. 
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • WelshPaul
    WelshPaul Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

When I called on 22/02/2024, I was not asked for any personal information, such as my national insurance number. Normally, this would raise red flags, but she seemed knowledgeable and confident in what she was telling me! The lady simply advised me to call back and report my earnings once I had received my first payslip/pay after providing me with information such as how much I am allowed to earn per week/month, deductions I’m allowed to include etc. So I don't think a subject access report will be of much help. However, I know all calls are recorded by the DWP, and I was able to give him the date and time of the call (22/02/2024 09:58). They should be able to track down the call based on that information. Again, as above, I do have a itemised phone bill that lists the call I made to them on that date.

It is what it is. I guess I will just have to wait and see what they say.

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    WelshPaul said:

When I called on 22/02/2024, I was not asked for any personal information, such as my national insurance number. 

That is why they have no record of you calling them because how do they know it was you when you didn't confirm your identity. 
  • WelshPaul
    WelshPaul Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    WelshPaul said:

When I called on 22/02/2024, I was not asked for any personal information, such as my national insurance number. 

That is why they have no record of you calling them because how do they know it was you when you didn't confirm your identity. 
    I wasn't asked to provide any! I clearly told the lady at the start of the call that I was calling because I was in receipt of Carer's Allowance and had just been offered a zero-hour job and that I had accepted the offer. I asked her how I should proceed, as I understood that I needed to report the change and, thus, the reason for my call. She asked if I had actually started. I said no, my first shift was scheduled for 24/02/24. She basically told me what the weekly / monthly limits were, what deductions I could make, and then she told me to call and report my earnings once I got paid and that I needed to do this every month if paid monthly. I assumed she never asked for my details because there was nothing I or her needed to do until I got paid today.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback