Does taxable benefit in P11D count towards total earning limit for pension contribution?

Options
I thought the P60 gave the total earnings for the tax year. I was also advised here that taxable benefit counts towards to the total earning limit for pension contribution. 
I might miss it but I found from my calculation that the taxable benefit (private medical insurance in my case) is not included in P60 (or salary slips) but listed in a different P11D form. Does it still count towards the total earning limit for pension contribution in this case?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by the "total earning limit for pension contributions".
    If you'[re talking about minimum wage legislation then the answer is no.
    Can you explain what limit you are referring to?
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I understand that you cannot contribute more than your total earning of the tax year to benefit from the tax relief. I am just wondering if the taxable benefit listed in P11D (but not in P60) counts towards to this total earning.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gut reaction was no, but with the mandation of payrolling benefits in kind from April 2026 I'm not so sure as it will then be included in P60 figure.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March at 12:28PM
    Options
    qsk said:
    lisyloo said:
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I understand that you cannot contribute more than your total earning of the tax year to benefit from the tax relief. I am just wondering if the taxable benefit listed in P11D (but not in P60) counts towards to this total earning.
    Yes it does. See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100#qualifying and scroll down to 'Earnings that attract tax relief'.

BoGoF said:
    Gut reaction was no, but with the mandation of payrolling benefits in kind from April 2026 I'm not so sure as it will then be included in P60 figure.
    Just to clarify that until then P11D benefits can be in addition to P60 benefits and thus eligible to be counted as 'relevant earnings'.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes.  P11D number gets added to your relevant earnings.  This can push you over certain thresholds so you need to be careful if it would reduce your entitlements.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind replies.
    One further question, my understanding is that P11D does not get submitted until May/June time. Will HMRC reject the tax relief if the application is sumitted in April?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    qsk said:
    Thanks all for the kind replies.
    One further question, my understanding is that P11D does not get submitted until May/June time. Will HMRC reject the tax relief if the application is sumitted in April?
    If you are making a relief at source contribution then no, you are responsible for only paying a qualifying contribution and the pension company will automatically add the 25%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback