Cashing in Stagecoach group plc share certificate

Options
I have an old share certificate for stagecoach group plc which was issued to me in 2017 after I left the company which was part of a company share program I was enrolled in. The certificate was issued by Capita and was for 1,744 shares.

I have now gone to try and cash in the certificate but I cannot as apparently the companies share were compulsory bought by DWS and all shareholders were notified and shares were then delisted and shareholders share holdings were turned into cash holdings and I had to reply to the correspondence excepting the offer to get the money for my shares from the purchase.

I however did not receive any correspondence to my address that my shares were registered to and where all my previous correspondence including my share certificate were issued to and I now do not know what to do.

Have I simply lost all my money and now have a worthless piece of paper or do Stagecoach or a company have the cash holdings for my shares and if they do, how do I find out/get the money for my share certificate.

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 3:55PM
    Options
    donniem27 said:
    I have an old share certificate for stagecoach group plc which was issued to me in 2017 after I left the company which was part of a company share program I was enrolled in. The certificate was issued by Capita and was for 1,744 shares.

I have now gone to try and cash in the certificate but I cannot as apparently the companies share were compulsory bought by DWS and all shareholders were notified and shares were then delisted and shareholders share holdings were turned into cash holdings and I had to reply to the correspondence excepting the offer to get the money for my shares from the purchase.

I however did not receive any correspondence to my address that my shares were registered to and where all my previous correspondence including my share certificate were issued to and I now do not know what to do.

Have I simply lost all my money and now have a worthless piece of paper or do Stagecoach or a company have the cash holdings for my shares and if they do, how do I find out/get the money for my share certificate.
    When you say you, "tried to cash them in" who did you actually speak to? Did the registrar not have your address or bank details? Were you receiving dividends?

No, just contact the registrar and it should be able to give you the money if all of the shares have been compulsorily purchased. There are scenarios where they're not purchased and you could end up being a shareholder in an unlisted company but it would be unusual. Either way, Stagecoach's old registrar will be able to tell you. Stagecoach's 2021 annual report states that the registrar was Link Asset Services, see screenshot below.

The DWS offer document can be found here, 105p per share: https://www.dws.com/en-gb/our-profile/media/media-releases/dws_infrastructure/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback