Home loss payment and benefits

Options
I receive ESA(IR) HB, SDP, CTS and PIP

I'm aware that pip isn't affected

I've been given notice that I need to vacate my housing association flat as there's a lot of issues with mould and damp. 

I'm being given a home loss payment of £8100. This payment is for the cost of moving (new carpets, removal van and anything I need to replace)

But how will my benefits be affected? I've got £4k in savings.

I'll have receipts for anything I've had to buy 
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
50p saver #40 £20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March at 12:28PM
    Options
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/654111fb1f1a60000d360b54/admh2.pdf

I thought it might be disregarded, but as I can't spot it in the exemptions listed I'm now uncertain. 
    Neither has an internet search provided a definite answer.

I'd ask the HA, it's possible they have a benefits adviser who should know. But, I would think they have considered this aspect anyway. 
    If it's not disregarded, I wonder if it's possible for them to pay you in stages? 

Or give Shelter a ring:
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/housing_conditions/occupiers_displaced_by_poor_conditions/compensation_for_people_displaced_from_their_home
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 5:56PM
    Options
    I remember there was a thread on here quite sometime ago when a member also received the same sort of payment because they too had to move house. I remember it was disregarded from means tested benefits but can't find that information now. I'm sure one of the other members will be able to point you in the right direction. 
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have checked the Decision Makers Guide and there is no disregard, even for a short period of time, for a Home Loss Payment. However, given what the payment is for, spending the money in a short period of time on essential items would not be unreasonable and therefore it wouldn't be treated as deprivation of capital. Keeping receipts would definitely be a good idea.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback