Postie scanned collected item straight away as delivered

Options
Hey! So I have sold a few items in past few days and I have had them booked for collection for today. Postie came and collected the items, which show as collected on tracking, and then a minute later they show as delivered with a photo of postie holding the items with the van in the background. I am pretty sure this was an error as he is usually reliable. My concern is with the tracking getting updated again. So far there haven't been any updates with items reaching DO or other Royal Mail areas.

Now I have buyers chasing me because they don't have the items. Completely understandable, I would have probably panicked too if I was the buyer. I explained to them that this is an error and it will more than likely be rectified once the item reaches it's next stage. Most were understanding but I had one buyer who opened an INR claim. The trouble is that I have to respond to the claim by the 3rd and considering the upcoming Bank Holidays it's unlikely that they would receive the item. Tracking shows as delivered, but delivered 1 minute later after collection so it's possible for me to lose the claim. If I do lose the claim and then item gets delivered I'll be out of pocket and item as well.

Anyone had to deal with something like this?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes this happened to me too some time ago, the postie was new and selected the incorrect option on the handheld device.  I just messaged each of the buyers to explain and the tracking eventually showed as delivered (once it had been delivered to the recipient).
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I can't help with the INR.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This happened to me 2 weeks ago.   But in my case only the notification of delivery was sent no photo of it being delivered.  It was showing as delivered as soon as it was collected.  I did not even notice that till the buyer got in touch with me a few hours later - he was worried that it was showing as delivered when he hadn't got it.  Buyer was nice and waited for 2 more days when it was actually delivered.
    Not sure why your buyer could open a INR so quickly?  I thought they had to wait a few days (can't remember how many) after the last expected delivery time before they could open a request?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kalsha said:
    This happened to me 2 weeks ago.   But in my case only the notification of delivery was sent no photo of it being delivered.  It was showing as delivered as soon as it was collected.  I did not even notice that till the buyer got in touch with me a few hours later - he was worried that it was showing as delivered when he hadn't got it.  Buyer was nice and waited for 2 more days when it was actually delivered.
    Not sure why your buyer could open a INR so quickly?  I thought they had to wait a few days (can't remember how many) after the last expected delivery time before they could open a request?
    According to the t and Cs an INR can't be opened until the day after the last estimated delivery date. Firstly that can be a false date as many people , myself included, are seeing their buyers getting EDDs that are still within the despatch time we have set , but also it could be a glitch. 

Personally I would add tracking to the case, and wait until the 2nd to see what's going on. If case is still open then it might be worth a phone call to ebay to ask for help. Remember though when talking to ebay- they lie, so if something doesn't sound right make sure you double check and check again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an item scanned as delivered when taking to the DO, they didn't have a clue what to do with it so I took it to the PO and they scanned it in normally, the system didn't flag an error, and it tracked normally through the system until it got delivered (again!).
  • MR1988
    MR1988 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all. I updated the case with tracking details. The item still shows as delivered on eBay but the tracking number has been scanned today in Royal Mail system which means it is moving. I'll keep track of it and phone eBay on Tuesday if buyer is unreasonable.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Had the same with UPS where had items delivered and collected at the same time, he had a separate handheld for each but forgot himself and scanned the collection with the delivery and so got the instant notification it had been delivered. He realised and then scanned it with the collection one and so it showed as collected after it was delivered. 

Sent a message to the buyer to explain, parcel was scanned as delivered again the following day and buyer messaged to say they were really happy with it. 
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't an INR claim fail if RM's site shows it as delivered (even if that's an error)?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback