Entitlement to Council Tax Support

Options

I am going to apply for council tax support as a single person with children.

When going through the council tax benefit application online there is 1 question I am confused about and not sure how to answer.
My partner does own another property which he let's out but it's in his name and nothing to do with me.

It says Do you or your partner own, or partly own, any land, timeshare or property other than the home you live in, either in the UK or abroad?

How do I answer this question?

Thank you

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 10:07PM
    Options
    Where does your partner live?

If he’s living with you, I’m not sure how you can be claiming as a single person?

Is this related to your previous thread about universal credit because if so, I think you need to give a few more details to get a sensible answer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pope
    pope Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien said:
    Where does your partner live?

If he’s living with you, I’m not sure how you can be claiming as a single person?

Is this related to your previous thread about universal credit because if so, I think you need to give a few more details to get a sensible answer.
    My error 

Partner does not live with me he lives with his girlfriend but not in the house he rents out.
  • elsien
    edited 27 March at 10:40PM
    Options
    In what way is he your partner if he’s got a girlfriend? 
    If he’s an ex and he’s not living with you, then I can’t see how his rental property is relevant to you claiming council tax benefit? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March at 2:36PM
    Options
    Are you saying he is no longer your partner and has a new girlfriend who he lives with separately from you? Reading back on some of your posting I am guessing you've separated...but not divorced.. and he lives with his girlfriend in his property and you live in another of his properties...correct?

My interpretation if so would be that you do not consider him a partner and he doesn't live with you... so I would be thinking answer "no" to the question on the form. You can always qualify somewhere that you are separated from your husband and do not live with him and he owns x,y,z... sorry it is a long time since I filled in the form so cannot recall if it enquires about marital status etc... others will advise especially when your situation is clarified including regarding any financial settlement that is in place.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • pope
    Options
    Are you saying he is no longer your partner and has a new girlfriend who he lives with separately from you? Reading back on some of your posting I am guessing you've separated...but not divorced.. and he lives with his girlfriend in his property and you live in another of his properties...correct?

My interpretation if so would be that you do not consider him a partner and he doesn't live with you as such... so I would be thinking answer "no" to the question on the form. You can always qualify somewhere that you are separated from your husband and do not live with him... sorry it is a long time since I filled in the form so cannot recall if it enquires about marital status etc... others will advise especially when your situation is clarified.
    Yes correct he is no longer my partner and lives with his girlfriend but not in the property he let's out. He lives in his girlfriends property. 
  • pope
    Options
    elsien said:
    In what way is he your partner if he’s got a girlfriend? 
    If he’s an ex and he’s not living with you, then I can’t see how his rental property is relevant to you claiming council tax benefit? 
    Because we are still married that's what is worrying me.
  • elsien
    Options
    Married but separated. Stop calling him your partner because that is misleading now and could lead to your situation being misinterpreted. 
    Not an expert given that you are separated, and he is with someone  else I would leave his assets out of it. Do you have a formal financial agreement in place?

• pope
    Options
    elsien said:
    Married but separated. Stop calling him your partner because that is misleading now and could lead to your situation being misinterpreted. 
    Not an expert given that you are separated, and he is with someone  else I would leave his assets out of it. Do you have a formal financial agreement in place?
    No there is not a financial agreement in place. 

What I'm getting confused about is that he is no longer my partner but we are still married. Will the council take the other property partly owned by me as a asset even though I don't own it on the deeds
  • pope
    Options
    pope said:
    elsien said:
    No there is not a financial agreement in place. 

What I'm getting confused about is that he is no longer my partner but we are still married. Will the council take the other property partly owned by me as a asset even though I don't own it on the deeds
    What I mean is that the other property is owned by my ex only. But will the council look at this other property being partly mine as I am still married to him but he does not live with me
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It will be better for you all round if you start referring to him as your EX-partner, otherwise it can cause confusion as it did here.
    Particularly when talking to the DWP or Council, you must use 'EX-partner' when referring to him so that it is clear that you are no longer together.
    If you keep using just 'partner' then they will think you are still together as a couple and so they will act accordingly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback