PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking someone to move out within 6 months

Options

Comments

• benson2221
    benson2221 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    user1977 said:
    There's no legal reason why it can't be possible, it just isn't normal practice (in England and Wales anyway) either to wrap everything up that quickly, or to enter into a contract months in advance of completion.
    Problem is I will need to complete within 6 months or I lose the refund on the early repayment charge. If problems arise during the buying process then it could go over the 6 months. Legally I can't enforce it to happen within that period when I look at it realistically. 
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So you Exchange Contracts today with a 6 month Completion date.
    2 months later, your survey tells you there are major issues with the property.
    A month later your solicitor tells you of negative search results.
    What do you do? Back out and get sued? Try to renegotiate a contractually agreed purchase price?
    Or what?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you do? Back out and get sued? Try to renegotiate a contractually agreed purchase price?
    Or what?
    Get the survey done now and then exchange contracts. Make the contract conditional on there being no materially adverse search results. Sorted.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     That is why I would want to insist that someone would be moved out in that time. They have said they would go into rental if need be but that is just what they have said...in reality I would want something legally binding like a penalty if they don't but have no idea if that is even possible 
    As a vendor why would I wish to enter a contract which offers me no benefit at all. Might as well wait for another offer. 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm considering making an offer on a property with the condition of moving in within six months. The estate agent has informed me that the seller verbally agreed to this arrangement. How can I ensure that this agreement becomes legally binding?
    Exchange contracts with a fixed completion date, as others have said. Subject to you being happy with searches etc. 

If the seller fails to complete then you'll have recourse, but it will be painful. 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Incidentally, when we last bought in 2021, our sellers moved into rented accommodation to facilitate our completion date. That was with the added pressure of the COVID-19 stamp duty relief, though, plus they were very nice people :) 
  • MacPingu1986
    MacPingu1986 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 12:38PM
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Or what?
    Get the survey done now and then exchange contracts. Make the contract conditional on there being no materially adverse search results. Sorted.
    Sounds simple enough, the problem is getting the counterparty to agree to the condition when it's very much off-market for UK England/Wales residential property transactions and which their solicitor will advise them is not acceptable (+ legal wrangling over the context and thresolds of materiality).  

EDIT: Corrected as per user1977s comment below.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Or what?
    Sounds simple enough, the problem is getting the counterparty to agree to the condition when it's very much off-market for UK residential property transactions and which their solicitor will advise them is not acceptable (+ legal wrangling over the context and thresolds of materiality).  
    Some parts of the UK you mean...the searches point is standard in Scottish contracts (though admittedly in practice, for other reasons, people aren't signing up months in advance).
  • MacPingu1986
    MacPingu1986 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:
    user1977 said:
    Or what?
    Sounds simple enough, the problem is getting the counterparty to agree to the condition when it's very much off-market for UK residential property transactions and which their solicitor will advise them is not acceptable (+ legal wrangling over the context and thresolds of materiality).  
    Some parts of the UK you mean...the searches point is standard in Scottish contracts (though admittedly in practice, for other reasons, people aren't signing up months in advance).
    Sorry yep - should have said England & Wales!
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm considering making an offer on a property with the condition of moving in within six months. The estate agent has informed me that the seller verbally agreed to this arrangement. How can I ensure that this agreement becomes legally binding?
    Frankly, this is unrealistic.  Any solicitor would advise their client against entering into such an agreement.  There are too many variables outside of the seller's control.  You also would not be able to guarantee that you would complete within six months. (Problems with search results and delays by your lender or solicitor being just a few of the potential issues)  Or are you expecting the seller to commit to this without any obligation to meet the deadline on your side?  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback